Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all.
I'm new here, so please, be gentle... :)

About month ago I finished Motorcycle Safety Rider Course (on Suzuki GZ 250) and got my license. And I'm looking for a good beginners bike. 500cc - 650cc. Eventually, 750cc if I got good deal. Nothing over 750cc. I'm 50 and 240lb. Never had a bike before.
In a few days I'm gonna have my 50th birthday and, as a present to myself, I want to ride a bike all day long. But, since I'm still didn't buy anything, nor there is a big chance to buy something, I was thinking to rent a bike. But the smallest bike I can rent is HD Street Bob and it has about 1300cc if I'm not mistaken. Of course the dealer said it's not gonna be a problem to ride it.
Now, please, tell me. Is this idea of renting this HD stupid? Am I gonna survive? :)

Thanks for any help,
Afan

·
VA Fender Bender
5,549 Posts
You will be surprised how easy the big bikes are to ride. Renting a Harley is an excellent plan. the rPMS are lower and more fun at cruising speeds. Give it a go!

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
How did you do in your Rider Safety Course?

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Welcome from VA

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Welcome from the state where our governers make our license plates... Like Mongo said, how did you do in the course? Have you sat on a Street Bob?
Now.... I would love for you to jump on that Street Bob, ride it all day, have the time of your life and become a life long HD rider... However you just received your license, you have a plan of working your way up and indicate you have no interest in riding a bigger bike. With that said, do what feels right, if your ready, did well in the course then go for it, if you did well in the course but have reservations on riding a bigger bike, then don't rush it... Not saying you shouldn't try one some day IF you want to, but the choice is up to you. I ride snow machines with a guy that has two really high end, very, very quick machines (he lets me ride one of his). The rule is I ride my comfort zone, nothing more.....
Do the same and you will be OK. Now happy birthday!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Welcome to the forum... I agree with the others. Make sure you are comfortable on the street bob. Meaning reaching for the controls able to handle the weight etc. and then have fun but stay in your comfort zone. Just because you have a sports car doesn't mean you need to drive it to the edge. That way you can do it all over again next year for your birthday :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would love for you to jump on that Street Bob, ride it all day, have the time of your life and become a life long HD rider...
Believe me, me too. :D

However you just received your license, you have a plan of working your way up and indicate you have no interest in riding a bigger bike.
I have interest in bigger, touring bike. And one day spend a month on Route 66 or Lincoln Highway :D
But I'm assuming, I have to reach the goal in steps, right?

With that said, do what feels right, if your ready, did well in the course then go for it, if you did well in the course but have reservations on riding a bigger bike, then don't rush it... Not saying you shouldn't try one some day IF you want to, but the choice is up to you.
But, anyway, it's not suicidal idea to sit on a bigger bike?

Now happy birthday!!
Thanks a lot. :D

·
On the loose
8,674 Posts
Welcome from another Iowan , just take your time at 1st. I just got back on 2 wheels 2yrs ago, took the course also.

I started with an 800 Vulcan , seemed really big after those class bikes, 2 months and 1000mi later I wanted some thing bigger. Stay in your comfort zone and take your time you'll be good , and happy birthday .

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Not trying to scare you off at all, just felt like you had some reservations from your orginal post. Just do whats correct for you at this time, it the Bobber feels right then I say go for it and have a great time. Like Redneck said, just because it can doesn't mean you have too...
Now get out there and ride and have a great time!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts