Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to say hello and happy to be a member.
I was without a bike for a little over 30 years until last fall when I decided it was time to start riding again. I visited this forum quite a bit for info and ideas before and after buying my new toy, an 07 sportster. Always loved bikes and bought my first street bike at 16 as soon as I got my license and had 4 in all until I gave it up reluctantly due to the usual things such as kids, working all the time and taking care of a house.
So now that I'm in the senior stage and finally have some time for my self and of course the wife we decided it was time to ride again. A lot of people here feel a sportster isn't the best bike for a beginner which I basically am at this point but I had ridden my sons a few times and I have extra long legs so I felt comfortable on it. The high center of gravity thing doesn't seem to be an issue and there's ample room on the back for her. At this point I'm interested in putting some time in and getting my confidence back. Everythings goin great and we're having fun. I like the bike and my goal is to ride it for a year and step up to something bigger and more comfortable so we could do some weekend trips. From what I read here and guys I talk to I'm thinking a road king or a heritage classic but I have plenty of time to decide that. Probably what I'll do is rent a few bikes for a weekend and see what suits us. That seems to be the popular opinion.
Anyway, thanks again for all the info you post and sorry about the short novel. Have a great weekend
Dave

·
Registered
671 Posts
Welcome from central Florida.

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,211 Posts
Welcome aboard from Mississippi!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from OK; 2nines. Sticking to the Sporty to get your confidence back in check is an excellent idea. Equally smart is renting different models at your Dealer to help decide what you Guy's want. Good luck and keep us informed. Good folks here that will add their opinion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hello

Thanks for all the warm welcomes from all over the country.
Late reply as I just returned home from our annual fishing trip to Canada. Go up there every year for pike after the opening of the season. Cold and windy this year but you never know the weather but the fishing is always good. Met a guy and his wife a few cabins away and we talked riding more than fishing so that was a treat.
Was impressed that about 5 minutes after I was home the wife said its gonna be nice out tomorrow so lets go for a ride. Always makes things easier when the wifes into it. Wont be riding the storm when I shell out a lot more money for something bigger. After flying around in the wind up there for a week and switching back from up front to behind a windshield I've come to the conclusion I'm doing a windshield on the sportster despite what my son tells me about not putting a windshield on a sportster just on principal. I'm an old fart and I can do whatever I want. Don't care what the hell I look like. I plan on keeping the sporty anyway when I step up and I can always take the windshield off if I'm just cruising around town.
Someone asked where in Pa? Allentown is the closest city. I'm south of Emmaus in Zionsville. South end of the Lehigh Valley.
Take care and have a great weekend
Dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts