Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I'm a proud new owner of a 2013 HD softtail Slim :) I'm a fairly new rider with only about 1000 miles seat time. I traded my beginner bike, a 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250, for my new baby! I have a BIG change to get used to, and feel like I'm learning all over again. I'm a short woman, only 5'4, so being able to flat foot the slim where I couldn't the Ninja is a big plus for me.

I've dropped my Ninja twice at a stop, and only did minor damage, but now I've got such an expensive investment and I'm TERRIFIED of dropping her and doing expensive damage to the motor and tank! I'm getting a engine guard put on this week, so that will help some, but does anyone know of anything that offers a little more tip-over protection? I've done a google search and found a video of a Victory Vision with tip over protection, and curious if anything like this is offered for HD Softtails?

My bigger problem? I haven't even ridden her yet :( going from a crotch rocket to an almost double in weight cruiser is kind of a big deal for me! I want to make sure I have the engine guard on JUST IN CASE I mess up while practicing. I'm confident in myself once I get going, but since I've dropped my old bike twice, stops and starts make me nervous :-/

I'm not worried about any minor damage I may do. Scratches on the footboard and foot controls or handle controls aren't a big deal. Those aren't NEARLY as expensive to fix, but NEED protection for my motor and tank, that will help my feel more comfortable, therefore making me a better rider :) any tips or suggestions are welcome! And anything else u can suggest besides engine guards also!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
Hey, mama! Congratulations on your new ride.

The best tip over protection I can offer is to not think about it. I'm a believer in self-fulfilling prophecy. If you spend your time worrying about tipping the bike over, guess what? You'll drop it.

That bike should be substantially lower than the Ninny. You might look at getting a lower seat or anything else that makes it fit you better.

Otherwise, enjoy and welcome to the forum from Houston. Post some photos! We're very visual around here. And some of the bike would be nice, too. :)

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
When you get the engine guards, you should be good to go.

I ride a Heritage and was pulling into my driveway to park. My boot got caught in the heel-toe shifter and I couldn't get it out in time before the bike was going over. I did catch it and the landing was soft, but I just didn't catch it soon enough. Anyway, it just landed on the corner of the engine guard and stopped. Looked like it was on an extreme kickstand. Not even a scratch on the guard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure thing! Hoping this signature pic works, and also attached a pic as well. Yea im taking the heel shifter off, until I get used to the bike, I don't think I'm going to like it. Already getting in the way just moving it in and out of the garage!

Attachments

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
Sweet!!

Some folks around here love the Heel-toe thing. I grew up on dirt bikes, so I couldn't stand it. Especially after it resulted in an "Oh Sh*t" situation.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Welcome from Abilene. Nice Slim. Almost went that direction myself. I'm not very tall either, 5'7". I don't care for a heel/toe either. I also started out on dirt bikes and got used to just a toe shifter.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sweet bike! I went from the 2013 ninja 300 to my 05 deluxe. It was a weird transition going from a crotch rocket to a tank and it kind of felt as if I was learning how to ride all over again lol. But with a few miles I got used to the weight and feel.To be honest the hardest part of the transition is coming to a stop light. Unlike the ninjas you really have to keep the wheels straight and come to a smooth stop or else you'll be giving your quads a workout lol. For slow crawls/ turns it helps drag the rear brake while clutch and throttle control and if you feel the bike tipping a little it helps me to let the clutch out a little more or if you need to give it some throttle to straighten. Good luck, ride safe and have fun!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Welcome Jadensmama, nice bike. I am also new to riding as I had not been on one in almost 30 years when I bought my Deluxe last year new and have about 3500 miles on it. I was scared to death of dropping it so the first thing I did was add an engine guard. I was at first alittle hesitant due to the weight as I was used to riding Honda 750s yrs back. I took my bike out to a parking lot and practiced slow speed handling as that is when it feels it heaviest. A few sessions doing that and it became second nature pretty quick to handle the weight. No drops yet and the closest I came to it was one time I thought I put the kickstand out all the way and started to get off but caught it before it went down. Now I make sure its fully extended before I think of getting off. ALso I was a little unsure of the heel shifter but after a few days I wouldn't trade it.
Ride Safe!

·
2,327 Posts
Welcome to the forum from New Hampshire. You look pretty comfortable on that bike!!! You might try getting a riding boot, that extra inch of heel will make you feel a little taller. Ride safe.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Welcome from West Tennessee. As has already been said. Practice using rear brake. I dropped mine twice at slow speeds until I figured out the slow speed + front brake = ground.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stmftr250, did you find turning a lot different? I haven't had mine out on the roads yet, but just practicing in the parking lot I feel I'm going to have a big difference to get used goin turning. First turn i ended up taking a lot wider than I should have! I think ill be ok once I get a little more practice time in =)

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Welcome from N.Y, I road dirt bikes as a kidand then sold it to get my car.now 25 years latter I went and took the basic riders course. I then went and bought a 97 heritage softail classic. I was a little Leary about tne weight and wasn't sure on the heal toe shifter. But now that I'm used to it I wouldn't have a bike without it. Give it time and take it slow you'll love it. Have fun

·
Registered
25 Posts
Jadensmama, I am a pretty healthy guy and I found I had to get myself in even better shape for the bike. Helped me alot because it is alot of weight to horse around especially at slow speeds compared to what you have been used to.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Stmftr250, did you find turning a lot different? I haven't had mine out on the roads yet, but just practicing in the parking lot I feel I'm going to have a big difference to get used goin turning. First turn i ended up taking a lot wider than I should have! I think ill be ok once I get a little more practice time in =)
I had to get re-used to turning a bit just going from my old 2000 Softail Standard to the Breakout mainly because of the bigger tires. I had to learn to push it a little more in the turns. You'll get used to it in no time. I don't even think about it now.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Exactly what scourge said. You do have to push a little bit more. I did go wide in a left turn but luckily there were no cars. Just keep riding and you and the bike will be ONE :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts