Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks. Newbie here with _________ (fill in the blank). Yes, a question. Picked up a nice little Sporty to scoot around on and I'm just starting to sort it out a bit, but I've got a sticky problem. It's my grips. They are old and so sticky my gloves would stay if I let them. I've got new replacements, but can't figure how to get the old ones off. New ones have set screws. Old ones are the horizontal banded ones that had the HD logo in the rubber if that helps. They have end caps that pop off. Checked the service manual. Nothing there but how to glue new ones on. Insight please before I "F" something up. :confused:

Rich

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
I got back from Arkansas in time to welcome you in.

Welcome from Central Texas.

Now get a razor knife and cut the old ones off. You don't want them anyway. The left one is glued on. The right one is held by a flange that goes under your controls. Unless your are just talking the outer portion of the grip. It also is glued to an inner that pivots around the bar.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
You can also clean them with glass cleaner about four times to get the sticky grime off of them and use your money some where else on the bike. Good luck either way and oh yea.... Welcome!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Grips

Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice. It's my first venture into HDs, so I'm kind of feeling my way. God, I do love those straight pipes! :D

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Howdy! I can't say I've done anything to my grips... at one time, I had 12" fringe hangin' off 'em but got tired of having 'em wrap around my arms at speed. Had the "foam" grips on my '94... they were beginning to disintegrate when I sold her in '96.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for the welcomes. I've ridden about everything two wheel that you can. Last one was a crotch rocket. After turning my vintage Mustang fastback into cash, I decided that it was way past time for a HD. Jeeze, now I know I've been missing the good stuff for years. Got some catching up to do. I'm sure I'll have more newbie ????. Tolerate me a bit. Thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Welcome to a great place, with alot of great helpful people!! any problems you encounter, be sure to know that someone 'round here will beable to help you in one way or another!! Just ask and you get loads of feedback!!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts