Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, very new to this forum. My story, I’m the father to three daughters and I’ve always love to ride, but never owned my own bike, other than my 1979 Honda XR 250 that my uncle gave me years ago and I’ve keep her running.

So I’ve wore out my welcome borrowing friends, neighbors and family bikes; and in the market to purchase my own. I recently test rode a 2005 Soft tail with 15k on the clock. Come with two extra seats, extra tank, fenders, jacket, and luggage. Also has a quick disconnect wind shield and saddle bags. New battery and tires with a fresh oil change. Never been down.

Question: Rode great but felt it had a slight misalignment in the front end. Is that possible And could it be corrected?

price is $5300 good or bad deal?

Also I’m going to need to install a chrome main cover. Looks really straight forward, in you’re opinion is install pretty easy? Just need that piece to be chrome

thanks for reading and any feedback. Just really need to get out. Three teenage daughters is definitely taking its toll

Tom

·
weird member
2,225 Posts
As long as nothing is wrong with it, never been in an accident and looks like it was taken care of, a listed price of $5300 is more than fair for an '05 with only 15K miles.

As to the potential "misalignment" (if that's what it is), it is possible there to be misalignment and is possible to be corrected if it is there. What makes you think there's a possible misalignment, like what exactly was it doing?

It could just potentially be bad or simply just loose neck bearings, wheel bearings might not be good or maybe the endplay wasn't set right (I think '05 had sealed wheel bearings, on which I don't know how to set the endplay). Hell, it could even be a slightly loose pinch bolt in the triple tree or something.

Those are all less likely scenarios than the most likely. 05 with such low miles means it sat, a lot. Did you get a look at the tires? If it sat a while, could be that the tires got a little deformed (much more likely cause of a feeling of front end being weird than the above scenarios).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Kyle. It rides straight but the center handle bar plate is slightly off from center at 50 mph plus. Tires have been done recently and look like new. I’ll have to ask specifically when they were replaced.

The sitting (only 1k a year average) definitely has me slightly concerned, but Figure it’s a 15 year old bike and will require some Maintenance. Is there anything I can look for that would be a major concern?

Thanks again

·
weird member
2,225 Posts
Thanks for the reply Kyle. It rides straight but the center handle bar plate is slightly off from center at 50 mph plus. Tires have been done recently and look like new. I’ll have to ask specifically when they were replaced.

The sitting (only 1k a year average) definitely has me slightly concerned, but Figure it’s a 15 year old bike and will require some Maintenance. Is there anything I can look for that would be a major concern?

Thanks again
Not really, battery and tires are the most major concern from sitting... otherwise, when you start riding her, some gaskets may start leaking.

Make sure you get the parts bin (anything they took off of the bike) and factory service manual if they got it, if you buy it that is.

And I dunno what that is about the plate, you mean the handlebar clamp? Not sure what that would be.

·
Registered
38,479 Posts
I have an 05 Softail NightTrain. Any specific questions, or questions in general I or someone here should be able to get you an answer. Good luck with the new bike!

·
Registered
11,611 Posts
Greetings from Left Coast. Is it the stock clamp? Loosen it up see if any thing changes when you tighten it back down to proper torque. . May have been dropped in garage tweeked the bars ??? As already mentioned check front end bearings & clamps. Get HD Manual for your model. Used bikes and cars can have issues.

Reactions: 03sonicstang

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Greetings from Left Coast. Is it the stock clamp? Loosen it up see if any thing changes when you tighten it back down to proper torque. . May have been dropped in garage tweeked the bars ??? As already mentioned check front end bearings & clamps. Get HD Manual for your model. Used bikes and cars can have issues.
It’s the stock clamp but the handle bars were changed from stock, then straight drag bars back to stock. I’ll check out the clamp this morning. Might have Motor City Harley go over the bike, just for piece of mind.

She rides great though put about 50 mile in yesterday after work. Then had a couple beers in the garage and lost myself polishing. 👍🏽

·
Registered
11,611 Posts
Which model Softail ? Pictures ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
First of all, very new to this forum. My story, I’m the father to three daughters and I’ve always love to ride, but never owned my own bike, other than my 1979 Honda XR 250 that my uncle gave me years ago and I’ve keep her running.

So I’ve wore out my welcome borrowing friends, neighbors and family bikes; and in the market to purchase my own. I recently test rode a 2005 Soft tail with 15k on the clock. Come with two extra seats, extra tank, fenders, jacket, and luggage. Also has a quick disconnect wind shield and saddle bags. New battery and tires with a fresh oil change. Never been down.

Question: Rode great but felt it had a slight misalignment in the front end. Is that possible And could it be corrected?

price is $5300 good or bad deal?

Also I’m going to need to install a chrome main cover. Looks really straight forward, in you’re opinion is install pretty easy? Just need that piece to be chrome

thanks for reading and any feedback. Just really need to get out. Three teenage daughters is definitely taking its toll

Tom
Miles sounds low. I have 2010 with 43,xxx ....but just saying!

·
Registered
11,611 Posts
Nice ride, have the same bags, 09 FXSTC. Ride Safe

Reactions: 03sonicstang

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here’s a better shot. Went to the dealer this morning and the tech said to just force it back into alignment. Went out in the parking lot and a couple of hard right hand pushes put the bars back to perfect alignment. Bike rides amazing. I’ve test ridden a bunch in the past year and this one definitely felt the best Worth every penny in my opinion. And I can take back rest off so easily, didn’t realize that until today. Again, newbie.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,611 Posts
Lot of people said you wont like a Softail. Still have stock seat, strap a bag on rear seat lean against. We make the run to Vegas or Laughlin 400+ miles no issues. Wind can be a bitch sometimes. Where you located ?

·
Registered
38,479 Posts
Lot of people said you wont like a Softail. Still have stock seat, strap a bag on rear seat lean against. We make the run to Vegas or Laughlin 400+ miles no issues. Wind can be a bitch sometimes. Where you located ?
Tomorrow will make 1150 over the last week for me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts