Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All my prior experience has been w/ metric bikes thus far...
...The last two being super-sport bikes ( both Honda ).
...Getting older & looking for a difference riding experience.

Really like the idea of buying American and have always liked Harley's...
...So today I went to a local dealer that was having a bbq / test ride day.
...Absolutely fell in love with the way the Dyna Fat Bob looked.
...But THEN!

A nice sales guy stabilized the bike by standing in front of it so I could see how it felt....
...And I realized that I had to hold my right foot at a strange angle to keep it on the brake?
...I actually sat there for maybe two minutes and could tell my leg was already getting sore.

It seemed that possibly the air cleaner stuck out too far so that you can't "naturally" put your foot on the brake...
...I thought that maybe the air cleaner was after market but the guy helping me said it was all stock.

He did mention that I could "customize it" by buying an extender that moved the brake lever farther out....
...Or have someone fabricate a device that would accomplish the same thing.

To be honest I was astonished by this - I mean it appears to have been designed that way...
...My left leg felt totally fine and natural but my right leg jutted OUT enough I could really feel it.
...Then I had to twist my right foot at the ankle to be able to press the brake????

They also had a used Soft-tail Fatboy that I really liked the look of and I sat on that one as well....
...Didn't have the issue with the rear brake lever at all - it was just on the Fat Bob.

Has anyone heard of this or know about it?

It just seems like a significant design flaw but I understand that this model of Harley isn't new?

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
25,301 Posts
All my prior experience has been w/ metric bikes thus far...
...The last two being super-sport bikes ( both Honda ).
...Getting older & looking for a difference riding experience.

Really like the idea of buying American and have always liked Harley's...
...So today I went to a local dealer that was having a bbq / test ride day.
...Absolutely fell in love with the way the Dyna Fat Bob looked.
...But THEN!

A nice sales guy stabilized the bike by standing in front of it so I could see how it felt....
...And I realized that I had to hold my right foot at a strange angle to keep it on the brake?
...I actually sat there for maybe two minutes and could tell my leg was already getting sore.

It seemed that possibly the air cleaner stuck out too far so that you can't "naturally" put your foot on the brake...
...I thought that maybe the air cleaner was after market but the guy helping me said it was all stock.

He did mention that I could "customize it" by buying an extender that moved the brake lever farther out....
...Or have someone fabricate a device that would accomplish the same thing.

To be honest I was astonished by this - I mean it appears to have been designed that way...
...My left leg felt totally fine and natural but my right leg jutted OUT enough I could really feel it.
...Then I had to twist my right foot at the ankle to be able to press the brake????

They also had a used Soft-tail Fatboy that I really liked the look of and I sat on that one as well....
...Didn't have the issue with the rear brake lever at all - it was just on the Fat Bob.

Has anyone heard of this or know about it?

Yes.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Welcome from College Station, TX.

·
2,327 Posts
Welcome from New Hampshire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does one seriously need to fabricate or customize a "new" Fat Bob so that their right leg can be in the same comfortable position as their left leg - And their foot can activate the brake lever?

Do all Fat Bob's have this issue?

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
Does one seriously need to fabricate or customize a "new" Fat Bob so that their right leg can be in the same comfortable position as their left leg - And their foot can activate the brake lever?

Do all Fat Bob's have this issue?
Mine doesn't, or maybe my various mods fixed it, or maybe I just never noticed it....

·
Registered
42,156 Posts
You can get the Heavy Breather style air cleaner to give you more leg clearance.

This one has been converted to mid controls.

·
American
28,712 Posts
Welcome from Indiana.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all for the welcomes & tips - I will inquire about a different breather & the mid-controls...
...I just saw a Dyna Street yesterday on my way home from work - got to talk to the guy at the light.
...He had "Python Exhaust" and it sounded VERY good.

When I pull the trigger the first thing I want to do is have a stage 1 kit installed & I'm looking for LOW and throaty sound ( NOT a raspy loud sound ). I've heard many different sound signatures from HD's here in Seattle and am looking for a very deep and low Harley type sound.

Does anyone have a recommendation for that type of Muffler or is python a good way to go?

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Welcome from a Fatbob rider in Arkansas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts