Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been inspired by my buddy to look into a Harley I have never rode a street type bike ever just the off-road dirt bikes my question is I'm 5'9 175 lbs looking at a good first bike but for some reason my mind takes me back to the street glide I love the look fit and finish but is it to big for a beginner I plan on my wife riding with me so I need a comfy rear seat what would be a good route to go Street Glide or go smaller and look into a bobber style seems that would be my next choice street bob or fat bob or street glide I'm new and need opinions thanks for any help

·
Registered
39,566 Posts
If youre comfortable on the dirt bikes, you'd be ok on the street.

Do you have your MC endorsement? If not, go to the rider's edge training courses, and get your endorsement. Then go test drive.

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
Welcome from eden nc...
The motorcycle safety course is a really good class! No matter how long you have been riding

·
Registered
11,057 Posts
You want a Street Glide you could ride a Street Glide. Yes, there will be a learning curve--nothing you can't handle by taking it easy.

If you get a Street Bob or Fat Bob Dyna it won't be long before you sell/trade up to a Street Glide and that will likely cost you.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
In many ways, a big, heavy cruiser is actually easier to ride. There's really no such thing as a motorcycle being "too big." It's all about understanding the limitations of the bike and more importantly, yourself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I just got intimidated by the size appearance thanks for the replies my buddy said the bigger the bike the easier to handle but I didn't believe him but of course nothing stops him from danger lol he has a cross bones I am looking forward to getting a bike hopefully it'll be the glide I look on my nearest dealer site and there are no rider courses withing 100 miles how do I get 1 closer to me

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
If you know how to ride a bike, you should be fine. Welcome from College Station, TX.

·
Registered
39,566 Posts
I guess I just got intimidated by the size appearance thanks for the replies my buddy said the bigger the bike the easier to handle but I didn't believe him but of course nothing stops him from danger lol he has a cross bones I am looking forward to getting a bike hopefully it'll be the glide I look on my nearest dealer site and there are no rider courses withing 100 miles how do I get 1 closer to me
If your nearest dealer doesn't do the rider's edge, they would know where the nearest motorcycle classes are.

·
Black Velvet Elvis
169 Posts
Try checking or google for a Motorcycle Safety Program for your state, at least that's what they call it in Pennsylvania. I did a quick check and there were listings for Illinois. I personally like the Street Glide Special, go figure. Welcome to the site whichever way you go Longbow.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Welcome from Virginia.

Check the Motorcycle Safety Foundation website. They, too, offer a great training course called the Basic Riders Course. If you pass the MSF course, some DMV jurisdictions will accept the endorsement certificate and issue a motorcycle license without having to test at the DMV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I started with a Wide Glide but 4 years later went with a Street Glide, Smaller bikes with big engines are equally as fun as cruisers. Let the wind hit you in face and Chest for a bit and just get comfortable with 2 wheels on pavement! But yes like alot of others say get your endorsement and some training early on will pay off.

Ride safe

·
Hard Member
3,238 Posts
I started with a Sportster and 5 years later upgraded to the Electra Glide Ultra Classic. Substract about 3 years for weather, OTR work and present job. 2 years riding. Upgraded quick and bike is easier to handle. Don't be afraid or intimidated by the size and weight.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Take a motorcycle safety class first. Get your endorsement. Then, demo the bikes you think you want BEFORE you actually make a purchase. I did not do that. Started off on a Sportster 883, then took a class to get my motorcycle endorsement. Love at first sight for the 883, but after having had it for 6 months, I outgrew it. Demo'ed a Street Bob and a Softail Slim. Loved the Street Bob and wife said she'd never ride with me. Now the S.B. is mine. Love the ride.

So pretty much what the others are saying.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts