Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy my first HD. I am 5'9" and have had a bmw and goldwing in the past. I plan to use the HD for weekend rides and crusing in town. I am retired and can afford any bike I want. Do any members here have any ideas. TIA

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
For the cruising around town part, I would say try testing a FatBob or a VRSCAW. If your weekend rides are long journeys and you consider the VRSCAW make sure to look into what some of the folks here, Daniii in particular, have to say about how to make that an enjoyable venture.

Welcome to the most wonderful HD fan place around. We look forward to hearing from you.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Hmm, tough question. If you really mean just around town to scoot through traffic and pick up a quart of milk, I would go with the old school cool of the Nightster (sportster)
It's very nimble and very cool.

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
Try doing some Demo rides to feel what you would really like.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If money was no object for me I'd go with a Street Glide. I have a Superglide, which is nice for both forms of riding, But the SG has so much more to offer. Hard bags, already lowered, stereo, and so on. Also would consider an Electraglide Standard. Bagger with no frills.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,197 Posts
If you're not going to take trips, why would you want a bagger?

I'll take a 630 lb Superglide, LowRider, any of the Dyna rides, hands down over any 850 lb bagger, if I'm doing the kind of riding you're describing.
Which I am, plus riding to work almost every day. I may try a pair od add-on saddlebags, and I use a clip on windshield, but that's a long way from adding over 200 lbs.

I'd bet that if you were going to just take a chance, and get a bike to see if it's right, riding a Superglide or LowRider, you'll be LOTS LESS likely to be thinking, "Boy I really should have gotten a MUCH bigger heavier bike.."

I do really like the FatBob and the StreetBob for the same kind of riding. Those are still lightweights, both literally and esthetically, compared to any of the baggers, IMHO.

Stereo? For around town or weekend day trips? No thanks. I'll just have Harley music.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts