Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
NevRL8
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
every time a bike crash makes the news, this is the last words in the report. i almost take it as an insult to the victim and the choice he/she made. does this actually serve a purpose? are they required to mention this in the story?

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,464 Posts
Apparently it has to be part of the police reports in my area, and the news media apparently is convinced the helmets save all lives. Really did my left leg and ankle a helluva lot of good in my wreck.

·
Vile Deplorable
1,435 Posts
The left leaning press just loves to rub that stuff in our face.

·
TGPNW
640 Posts
every time a bike crash makes the news, this is the last words in the report. i almost take it as an insult to the victim and the choice he/she made. does this actually serve a purpose? are they required to mention this in the story?
Not a insult just a fact.

·
NevRL8
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The left leaning press just loves to rub that stuff in our face.
that's the impression i get.
i never hear "the elderly lady did NOT yield the right of way".
"the highway crew did NOT clean up the dirt from the road after digging"

·
Asylum Inmate
11,741 Posts
They report it because the public wants to know. Tell a non-motorcyclist about a crash and if you don't tell them about the helmet they will ask "was he/she wearing a helmet?

It has be sold as a magic bullet to the non riding public. And that is a bad thing.

A new study out shows the helmet safety is so over sold 4 wheeled vehicle drivers give 20 less inches of clearance to a bicyclist wearing a helmet. They see it as a car.

Don't get me wrong I know I have a better chance if I would wear one, but I don't I am cool with the risk.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Just like "he was not wearing a seatbelt". They're only stressing the importance of a particular safety device. If he had been wearing a helmet his head may not have split open or if he had been wearing a seatbelt he may not have been thrown through the windshield. It's nothing more than factual opinions.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Just me but I think people like to know/think they could have avoided injury when they hear about any accident. OH they got hurt cause they didn't wear certain safety device, so I will and my chances will be better?

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
Our local channels, every one of them, when reporting a motorcycle injury or fatality, always mentions whether or not the rider(s) was wearing a helmet.

·
Wayward Son
23,315 Posts
Around here they say if a helmet was not worn. Never once have a I read that they were.
But I have read "they died of internal injuries" To me that means damage to the body from the shoulders down.
Last sentence in the article was "They were not wearing a helmet". :dunno

·
luv the low country
19,251 Posts
Around here they say if a helmet was not worn. Never once have a I read that they were.
But I have read "they died of internal injuries" To me that means damage to the body from the shoulders down.
Last sentence in the article was "They were not wearing a helmet". :dunno
Yeah, TS, its like saying, "wear a helmet and prevent an accident".

·
Registered
730 Posts
Really did my left leg and ankle a helluva lot of good in my wreck.
+1 kd, when I went down, I knew I broke my leg, ambulance wanted to tie my head down, I got claustrophobia real bad, I told them my head was fine, get this shit off me and pay attention to my leg.

I hate reading stories when someone goes down, they always say if he wasn't wearing a helmet, whether or not that is where the injuries were---usually not.

·
Lost and Confused
106 Posts
Our local channels, every one of them, when reporting a motorcycle injury or fatality, always mentions whether or not the rider(s) was wearing a helmet.
Same here in Southern Colorado, along with " Drugs and Alcohol was or was not a factor" statement.

·
Wayward Son
23,315 Posts
Same here in Southern Colorado, along with " Drugs and Alcohol were or were not a factor" statement.
I have to admit. When I read or hear about a bike related accident those things cross my mind.

The things I look for\catch my eye first. Bike type, then time of accident. Followed by speed\alcohol\drugs involved. Other vehicle involved? Injuries, fatalities?

Yea, Guess maybe I`m guilty of stereotyping just a bit.
But been there, done that. Got the aches, pains and a few scars to prove it.

·
Former Lurker
2,916 Posts
that's the impression i get.
i never hear "the elderly lady did NOT yield the right of way".
"the highway crew did NOT clean up the dirt from the road after digging"
Agreed.
I would like to see more reports showing, "The killer Blue hair was on 6 prescription meds when she pulled out in front of the motorcycle"
Or
The 86 year who rear-ended the motorcyclist was nearly blind and should not have been driving...

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
You will also notice that whenever a small plane crashes they will say "The pilot didn't file a flight plan." It usually isn't required and does nothing to keep the plane in the air.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Not to go too far off topic, but this reminds me of an incident where 2 wannabe biker chicks had just left home in their cage to go to a rally 65 miles away. A couple of miles from their starting point a strange guy started stalking them in their vehicle. He was driving dangerously, scaring the girls and was caught. Every report highlighted the fact they were going to a biker rally. Like that had anything to do with being stalked and chased down the city streets. Tried to portray them as "asking for it" since their final destination was the rally so far away.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts