Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I have a 2014 SGS and am thinking about upgrading my phone to a Nexus 6. i'm concerned that such a big phone won't fit in the jukebox compartment. Anyone out there using a Nexus 6 with their Rushmore SG, Ultra, or Limited? Just wonder how the fit is. Thanks in advance!

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Well, I have a RAZR Maxx, which is pretty big and it fits in there in the foam thingie slot. I'm not sure how big the Nexus 6 is, but I can't imagine it wouldn't fit if you took the foam slot thing out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, Ronnie! Worried mostly about the length and not being able to close the door. Will have to inspect/measure the jukebox a little better.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
why even put it in there? Just Bluetooth connect and you got tunes and phone if you want that. I do not do phone calls on the bike but do listen to my music.

·
Registered
39,576 Posts
I have a Nexus 6 if you need me to take any measurements.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Kainam. i found the specs online, but wasn't sure how well it would fit. but then i said "screw it" and ordered one anyway. if it fits, it fits, if not, oh well, it'll stay in the jacket or saddlebag.

·
Registered
39,576 Posts
The Nexus 6 is also has wireless Qi charging capability, although the wireless chargers are a little too spendy for me at the moment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agreed. Not spending $100+ just for the privilege of not having to plug in a USB cable. I hear the battery life is pretty solid. If i need more life and it won't fit in the compartment, i can always get an external battery for ~$20.

·
Registered
39,576 Posts
I don't talk much on it, but I regularly get 3+ days out of the battery being primarily on WiFi for data.

I'm wondering if I, or someone, could buy the internal components for a Qi charger cheap enough that it would be worthwhile to make your own that could be installed in the compartment.... :think

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting..... sounds like a fun project for someone with better electrical knowledge than me. But would definitely be cool. Might want to incorporate a magnet if that doesn't already hold it in place.

·
Registered
39,576 Posts
All the electrical work is done with those....

Just plug the mini USB cable into the PCB board, then hide the coils and PCB board... like on the inside of your fairing on the bottom of the phone compartment. I'd just stick in on with double sided 3M tape.

And yes, a magnet would be nice. :nod

·
Registered
751 Posts
Seriously? I'll check my phone when I get done from the ride. I don't need no tunes. I have all I need from V&H.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
I love me some tunes while riding. Blackberry smoke and 80mph is a good combo

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
V&H mixed in of course

·
Registered
39,576 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, probably going to pick one up and play around with it. Planning on upgrading to the larger boom speakers, so will have to take the outer fairing off anyway...l Not sure on the thickness, but i know you can get a magnetic sticker if you want. i was also reading that airdock was having some success with the nexus 6 without a magnetic sticker. but i don't know how far that got.

·
Registered
39,576 Posts
Got mine in today. Works as advertised.

Screenshot_2015-03-06-15-08-12.png

About 0.2" distance away from the coils is about the limit that I got it to reliably connect and charge.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts