Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't care to ride at night anymore, but have ran late quite a few times and made it wherever I was going well after dark.

Anyone like or hate riding at night? not much to see cept lines in the road!

Buddy traded one of his sportys in on a roadking yesterday and calls me and says he's working til 10:00pm and wants to know if I'll go for a little ride to next town over and back. He says just cause he's gotta drop of some keys to his brother, I say he just wants to ride his new bike.
Its 64 degrees out and I step outside and it must be humid or something cause it feel like a warm 64, I have to work in the morning but.... I think I'm gonna step out and ride this little ride just cause

Might not be a big deal, but I was ready to call it the night! now I'm going to for a little putt!

:biker:

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
One summer back in the eighties three of us rode the back roads all the way from Shreveport to the Talimena Scenic Highway up in Oklahoma late at night . About 150 miles , no traffic , cloudless night with a full moon . Three big Harley's runnin loud drag-pipes w/ no baffles . It was a beautiful ride , the animals stayed clear of the roads as they could probably hear us coming a mile away . The moon was so bright it was easy to see everything . Made camp at Beavers Bend in Broken Bow by the spill-way . Three tents and a good camp fire with lots of beer & other stuff . Yes sir , that was a good night ride for sure !

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I haven't ridden at night in almost 4 years. where I live deer are everywhere, you cant go a mile without seeing a dead deer on or near the road. for every deer there are 2 or 3 coons or possums.

·
Try'n to behave
5,958 Posts
I don't mind riding at night if I have someplace to go/be, but I rarely go looking for an excuse to ride at night just to ride at night.

I have been having an issue with headlight glare from oncoming vehicles recently (damn old age :mad ) and that may be contributing to my lack of enthusiasm for night time joy rides.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I just love to ride, and when the sun sets that don't change. I adjust my speed, add a whole bunch more variables to watch for, and just keep on keepin' on. I rode 650 miles one night on my Sportster just so I could get to Windchaser's house in SE Tennessee in time to ride all day long in the Smoky Mountains. Arrived at 430AM, slept till 6AM, and was up and at 'em all day long.

There ain't nothin' in this world that compares to riding a motorcycle. Nothin'. Night, day, rain, shine. Twist them throttles, y'all. Never know when it'll be the last time.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I haven't ridden at night in almost 4 years. where I live deer are everywhere, you cant go a mile without seeing a dead deer on or near the road. for every deer there are 2 or 3 coons or possums.
Yummy...road surprise Dinner . :thumb

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Terrified of deer once the sun goes down. Did have a twenty mile jaunt down the interstate the other night, and it was glorious.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I don't mind riding at night. Not long rides, though. It is kinda cool to have a night run, and is nice after a hot day.

As for critters, yeah, that could ruin a good time. Still, we have plenty of bambis and moose around here during the day. At night, you just don't have as much lead time.

But, as we age, our eyes go through some changes. If oncoming headlights are causing problems, it would be good to get checked. I know I'll be getting cataract surgery in the next couple years. Wife just had one done, and will have the other done next week. Actually, the surgery is a very good thing. Fixes vision issues (astigmatism), for the most part, and clarity and colors are much improved.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I love riding at night. There are a few places that make me nervous, but for the most part, I don't worry a whole lot about it.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I like riding at night, but don't do it on back roads because of the critters. One of my most memorable rides was a tail of the dragon type road in NC after dark. Hairpin curves are very exciting in the glow of a Dyna's headlight.:eek

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
I love riding at night. There are a few places that make me nervous, but for the most part, I don't worry a whole lot about it.
Ferguson, perhaps?

--

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't ride at night, but sometimes I have to (long trip and it's getting dark on the way home) I much prefer riding during the day!

·
Registered
946 Posts
I had cataract surgery and after that riding at night is no longer a problem. Last summer I had one night ride with a full moon and it was a beautiful ride. Not much traffic and a really warm night.

·
Thug counter
240 Posts
I drive 5.1 miles each way to work. I work midnight shifts, and I see anywhere from 5 to 10 deer every single night. I live in town, but 3 miles of road is all residential/country, and that's where the deer are. If I do ride, I'll probably change routes, add a couple of extra miles where I drive mostly through town.

Hmmm...I have to leave earlier...but...I not only get to ride, but I get to ride longer. Win/win!

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Yeah, it's a mixed bag. I really enjoy riding at night but constantly think about the things I can't see jumping out in front of me.

Do you know what I mean when I say that when I ride the motorcycle, I feel like I'm actually IN my environment instead of just driving THROUGH it? And at night, that IN feeling for me is accentuated.

Teach the deer and coons to stay out of my way and I'd ride at night all the time.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Deer jump out here day or night. Doesn't much matter. I just hate the stock headlight on my bike so I don't ride at night much as you can't see anything.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I ride when dark just to get to work more early morning than at night I do ride at night and watch for deer and other wildlife the led head light helps me to see more both road and critters have had close calls with deer both in daylight and dark

·
Wayward Son
23,315 Posts
Night time is the best time. One of the few times I do not mind riding the super slab.
Feel like I`m wrapped in a comfortable cocoon. Small and insignificant.
Few or no cars. Rolling down the road with only my thoughts and the sound of the bike to keep me company.
An occasional car or house light in the distance. Wondering what they are doing, what life they are living. Knowing I would not trade where I am and what I am doing at that moment for anything or anyone else`s life.

·
Registered
946 Posts
It seems like deer are becoming more and more of a hazard all the time. Is it because there are fewer hunters or is it because there are more sub divisions being built into deer country. I know up here in the north there seems to be fewer hunters every year.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts