Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, Im planning on taking my tank and fenders off over the winter (I live in Canada) to get a new paint job. Ive had my nightster for one season and Im already tired of looking down at the orange tank. Im looking to put on a matte black paint with gloss black pinstripes (similar to the nightrod) Anyways - The front fender is cake to take off, the rear fender will take some work and time, but the biggets concern will be the fuel tank. I thought that all I would have to do was take it off the frame, detatch the fuel pump, and lift it off - not so easy. I was looking at it the other day and realized that it's welded on to the frame right in front of the seat. Im not a welder and Im not gonna go out and try and heat it and cut it myself. Any suggestions? can it be painted while its on? I doubt it - Will my local HD shop take it off? Or should I take it to a pro welder? Also - any other ideas for paint schemes? I want to do something different - make my nightster stand out more then it already does! Thanks...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot for the reply - I didnt realize that there was a bracket underneath the seat. It looked like it was going to be hard to take off - but now that I know that its only gonna take wrenches and screwdrivers Im happy...

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Highly reccomend you get a HD service manual it'll be worth it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts