Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

Posted this in another forum but I've nipped a wire that goes into the back of the speedo (2012 xl1200n) and introduced some water, drained the battery and not the speedo is dead.

Dummy lights still work but warning lights on the speedo etc are dead.

What can I do to resolve this? New loom or part of? Replacement speedo won't work as its the wiring that's messed up?

I'm no good with electrics so any ideas appreciated.

Kempus

Attachments

·
Retired citizen
23,358 Posts
I would just slit the plastic insulator sheath and splice the wire back together.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,735 Posts
I have used this with very good results.

Might be useful with the location of that pinch.

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1424005529.475997.jpg

Amazon.com: Gardner Bender LTB-400 4-Ounce Black Liquid Electrical Tape: Home Improvement

Can also find it at Home Depot or Lowes.

You will want to warm that wire loom up real well with a hair dryer to get the moisture out.

Then straighten out the pinch and get a look at the wire. If the conductors are in tacked or at least most of them are you can dress it up and us the liquid on the wire.

Once it dries you can coat again and go over the outer sheathing so you have that second layer of protection from abrasion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok it doesn't start. Fuel pump runs but it doesn't crank. Battery is up at 13volts when on the optimizer but not sure if it has the amps to crank it. Could it be something to do with the immobiliser?
I thought it would've ran independent to the light on the speedo.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Ok it doesn't start. Fuel pump runs but it doesn't crank. Battery is up at 13volts when on the optimizer but not sure if it has the amps to crank it. Could it be something to do with the immobiliser?
I thought it would've ran independent to the light on the speedo.
Before you do anything else, splice the wire back together. !!!!!!!!!!!!

:biker:

·
Retired citizen
23,358 Posts
Loose negative cable at the battery post maybe. Common problem.
What are you referring to as optimizer and immobiliser ???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok will get the solder out report back. Sorry an optimizer is what we call a trickle charger and the immobiliser is the stupid fob that works with the alarm to stop someone riding off with your bike.
I'm Scottish so English isn't my first language.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Ok will get the solder out report back. Sorry an optimizer is what we call a trickle charger and the immobiliser is the stupid fob that works with the alarm to stop someone riding off with your bike.
I'm Scottish so English isn't my first language.
:laugh:rollin:rofl:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorted! But of soldering and a fuse had blown when it all shorted out so it all going now!

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
39,467 Posts
:thumb

·
Registered
827 Posts
Well, that's good news!! That is what fuses are for. Were it not for the 10 cent fuse, you'd be replacing whatever component on the other end of the circuit that got fried.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
I'm Scottish so English isn't my first language​
I love this. Be back in a minute. I have to go hook up my optimizer.

My immobiliser went shoe shopping this morning.

--

·
Black Velvet Elvis
169 Posts
That's some funny stuff right there...

·
Registered
11,965 Posts
More than likely a fun guy go riding and drinking with:eek

1 - 15 of 15 Posts