Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running nitrogen filled tires on the bike and if so how is it holding it come pared to air filled

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
I don't, but for what it's worth, if you believe in the hype as it applies to the benefits of using nitrogen cages (extended tire life, better pressure retention, improved fuel economy and more reliable handling) then you might assume the same benefits would inure to motorcycles. Inflate your tires with nitrogen to the same pressure that is recommended by the manufacturer for air and give it a whirl.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Air is already 78% nitrogen. Does that extra 22% really help?

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
N2 is used for two main reasons. N2 doesn't hold moisture because of the lack of O2 (what makes up most of the rest of the air you breath) and loss due to permeation through the rubber is reduced by about 1/3 as compared regular air. Also because of the lack of O2 and its' associated moisture it non-corrosive.

·
2015 Heritage
474 Posts
I have a new Heritage that came with the nitro. I probably would not have chosen it.
Only had the bike a month and so far so good. Even in the cold I have not lost any pressure in the tires. We'll see.

·
Registered
39,511 Posts
Air is already 78% nitrogen. Does that extra 22% really help?
And it would seem to me that as the O2 leaks out and you add more air in to maintain pressure, that the % of nitrogen in your tires would get progressively higher. :think

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
And it would seem to me that as the O2 leaks out and you add more air in to maintain pressure, that the % of nitrogen in your tires would get progressively higher. :think
....uh.....Kai......now why you wanna go and do that....I was just fixin' to start in with how nitrogen molecules are larger and therefore not as prone to leak, and you went and put all this logic in there.....

Seriously, that seems like a very valid point, man!

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
A few years ago, I workrd with a guy who swore the dealership was putting hydrogen in his tires. I asked him, "Ray, don't you mean nitrogen?".
"No," he said, indignantly, "Hydrogen!"
"Are you sure, Ray?"
"Yes, absolutely! I pay for it!"
I said, "Ray, please don't park near me, OK?"

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
If someone is using nitro and the tire leaks down. Would they top it off with air or would they have to use nitro?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was considering it cause there s a bike shop by my house that has a special for both tires $10 and I run it in my truck with no problems didn't know how it would handle in my bike

·
Registered
123 Posts
More marketing hype.
I fill all mine with the air from my compressor.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
The only thing I like about this idea is minimizing the moisture, if in fact it's an actual problem with rim corrosion.

Otherwise....air is free!

·
Registered
39,511 Posts
The only thing I like about this idea is minimizing the moisture, if in fact it's an actual problem with rim corrosion.

Otherwise....air is free!
If using your own compressor, use a water trap.

Smaller compressors are harder to trap the water as the air in the compressor remains hotter, keeping any moisture in the air in a gaseous state....

compressors with a larger tank on it, lets the air cool down before entering the line, letting the moisture change to liquid form, and able to be removed with a water trap.

No guarantees that any gas station uses water traps on their compressors.

·
2015 Heritage
474 Posts
I hear all this talk about paying for nitro.
I have nitro in my bike and in my truck and in my car. Never paid a dime for any of it.
the Chevy dealer does not charge, the auto service center does not charge, and I am pretty sure Pensacola Harley does not charge, but I haven't tested that one yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts