Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a 1999 883 sportster. Goes in 1,2 and 3rd. Neutral is very hard to find and after you get in third you keep pressing for 4th but its just not there.
Changed oil in the primary, I believe the clutch is adjusted to where it should be.
With clutch lever depressed the bike doesn't creep ahead. When you release the lever the engagement is smooth.
Chain has approx 1/2" slack. So everything seems good there.
Any ideas on what I should start looking at next?

·
Retired citizen
23,085 Posts
With the first 3 gears functioning then I'd have to speculate that the shift pawl, detent plate and shift drum are the problem. The pins at the end of the shift drum work their way into the drum causing the shift pawl to miss when rotating the detent plate. You'll need to remove the primary cover to access the shift drum and pry the pins back out. If the pins are to loose the drum will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the first 3 gears functioning then I'd have to speculate that the shift pawl, detent plate and shift drum are the problem. The pins at the end of the shift drum work their way into the drum causing the shift pawl to miss when rotating the detent plate. You'll need to remove the primary cover to access the shift drum and pry the pins back out. If the pins are to loose the drum will need to be replaced.

Thank you so much. I don't know much about this bike, so your input is greatly appreciated.

·
Retired citizen
23,085 Posts
Also I ruled out the shift forks because 3rd and 5th are the same fork and you stated you can shift 3rd.

·
Retired citizen
23,085 Posts
Thank you so much. I don't know much about this bike, so your input is greatly appreciated.
In this case to do the repairs I mentioned you'll need a Harley factory service manual.
Also there's a trick for those loose shift drum pins.
Stay tuned ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In this case to do the repairs I mentioned you'll need a Harley factory service manual.
Also there's a trick for those loose shift drum pins.
Stay tuned ...

I will look on eBay for the service manual and get it coming.
Hmmm a trick for the loose shift pins. Can't wait to hear about that.
Thanks again.

·
2004 Ultra Classic
1,170 Posts
:D 🍿

1 - 7 of 7 Posts