Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI. first post. i broke a exauhst stud on the front cyl of my 01 fxd so i tore dowen the cyl driled and helicoiled and put in new stud put the bike back together fierd it up and the front cyl was dead. so i began to trobule shoot checked the valves and seem to be ok they held liqued all night.checked compresion no gauge just thumb no compresion. have tore it down and back together 5 times no result can not fined a prblem.torqued the head bolts in four stages to a final torque of 42 ft lbs any idaes.:dunno

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
ideas? yea pits please go post an intro in "new to community"

How far did you tear it down????

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Were you vigilant to allow the pushrod 15 minutes to bleed down (checking that you could spin the pushrod with your fingers) before going on to adjust the next valve?

Did you accidently place the exhaust pushrod in the intake pushrod's spot? They're different lengths and the front exhaust pushrod is longer then the intake pushrod. Enough to screw you up....

If not: Sounds like you bent a valve or something went south when placing the headgasket in.

Pushrod color code:

Front Exhaust is Green

Front Intake is Yellow

Rear Intake is Blue

Rear Exhaust is Purple

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have the rocker arms off elemanating that varibule.took the valves out of the head and all look good.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Check pushrod color/location.

An exhaust pushrod in an intake spot will hold the intake valve open.

Of course.....this is ONLY for non-adjustables.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
i have the rocker arms off elemanating that varibule.took the valves out of the head and all look good.
Are you saying no compression WITH the rocker arms off?

Then it's a valve, rings or a hole in a piston.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes none with the arms off . it was running strong before i tore it down.valves look good rings are not broken is it possible they scord that bad upon startup are they that unforgiving.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
yes none with the arms off . it was running strong before i tore it down.valves look good rings are not broken is it possible they scord that bad upon startup are they that unforgiving.

I'd be suspecting a head gasket issue before the bore. Did you make sure the cylinder studs were tight before reassembly?

The cylinder is a tube. The only way air can go out is through a headgasket leak, valve or rings/piston/bore....

Can you place an airline in the spark plug hole and listen/feel where it's leaking from?

·
Registered
421 Posts
it almost sounds like a piston might of bent a valve and now it wont close all the way. do what dave said and pump air into the spark plug hole... see if it is coming out the intake or exhaust.

·
Retired citizen
23,398 Posts
Process of elimination . Squirt some oil into the cylinder thru the spark plug hole and crank the engine over . If you have some compression at that point then the piston / rings would be suspect . If still no compression then the valve train would be suspect .

·
The other white meat
2,214 Posts
Process of elimination . Squirt some oil into the cylinder thru the spark plug hole and crank the engine over . If you have some compression at that point then the piston / rings would be suspect . If still no compression then the valve train would be suspect .
X2 :nod

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I may be going about this all wrong i pulled the rocker arms off to eleminate a push rod problem but don't i need the valves to open to pull in air to build compresion.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes first to front second to rear. i think i may be chaseing a non existant problem if i had the push rods in wrong the first time but pulled the rocker arms off to eleminate that varible i may be fighting myself.becouse no air no compresion.ps. no color code found on my push rods just a long and a short. the long gose toward exh.correct?

·
"Nervous Tick"
11,272 Posts
I may be going about this all wrong i pulled the rocker arms off to eleminate a push rod problem but don't i need the valves to open to pull in air to build compresion.
yes..............:nod

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
yes first to front second to rear. i think i may be chaseing a non existant problem if i had the push rods in wrong the first time but pulled the rocker arms off to eleminate that varible i may be fighting myself.becouse no air no compresion.ps. no color code found on my push rods just a long and a short. the long gose toward exh.correct?
Yes. Long to exhaust. However, the front exhaust is the longest of all 4 pushrods.

Spinning the engine with the rockers off will just build compression.

You'd take the rockers off to fill the cylinder with air (via sparkplug hole) to check for leaks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
found my problem when i bolt my rockers on it hangs my valves open am i missing somthing all i have between my rocker plate and rocker box is an o ring is there suposed to be a gasket or shims.i have not touched my pushrod adj. so i do not see how that could be a problem.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
found my problem when i bolt my rockers on it hangs my valves open am i missing somthing all i have between my rocker plate and rocker box is an o ring is there suposed to be a gasket or shims.i have not touched my pushrod adj. so i do not see how that could be a problem.
The rockers will hold the valves open when you first put the engine together, until the tappets bleed down.....

If you let the engine sit for 15 minutes, are the lifters bleeding down to the point that you can spin the pushrods on a closed valve, with your fingers?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
she is alive the problem was me all i had to do was grab my ears and pull and POP!!! my head came out of my a$#.the lifters wear not bleed down should have paid better attion to your sudgestions thanx.:thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts