Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Retired and happy
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everybody.
I'm new in this forum (I just posted my presentation yesterday), but I'm in search for help for my '94 FLHTC.
The bike has been sitting in my garage for 3 months, while I was overseas, and I tried to start it last week, but there is no ignition.
I have been seeking for 1 week now, and I'm out of idea…
The coil is new
The spark plug wires are new
The spark plugs are new
I have 12v at the coil
The ground is good
Everything on the bike works
And yet, there is no spark at the spark plugs.
I am now stuck !
Has anybody any idea where to search ?
Thank you in advance, and have a good day !

·
Retired citizen
22,097 Posts
Good morning everybody.
I'm new in this forum (I just posted my presentation yesterday), but I'm in search for help for my '94 FLHTC.
The bike has been sitting in my garage for 3 months, while I was overseas, and I tried to start it last week, but there is no ignition.
I have been seeking for 1 week now, and I'm out of idea…
The coil is new
The spark plug wires are new
The spark plugs are new
I have 12v at the coil
The ground is good
Everything on the bike works
And yet, there is no spark at the spark plugs.
I am now stuck !
Has anybody any idea where to search ?
Thank you in advance, and have a good day !
12 volts indicates a dead battery!
Charge the battery until it's at 12.8 volts static then try starting the bike.

·
Retired and happy
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
12 volts indicates a dead battery!
Charge the battery until it's at 12.8 volts static then try starting the bike.
I wrote "12v", but it was just to say there is current. In fact, I have about 12.6 at the battery, and my charger considers it is full charged.

·
Retired citizen
22,097 Posts
I wrote "12v", but it was just to say there is current. In fact, I have about 12.6 at the battery, and my charger considers it is full charged.
12.6 volts is sufficient. Remove the plugs, install the wires and ground the plugs to the heads and check for spark while cranking the engine over.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Is the kill switch on??

·
Registered
20,543 Posts
Do you have a battery charger or a battery tender?

A tender is not a charger, it doesn't have the ampage to properly charge a battery.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
A battery with a reading of 12.7 VDC (volts direct current) is considered
100% charged, while 12.6 is 75%, 12.3 is 50%, 12.0 is 25%, and 11.8 is 0%

I copied this from a "shop talk" entry on our local HOG newsletter. It was written by the dealerships Master Technician.

·
Retired and happy
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
12.6 volts is sufficient. Remove the plugs, install the wires and ground the plugs to the heads and check for spark while cranking the engine over.

I already did it several times, but there is no spark. The only thing I did not do is to check the ignition module. I just removed it, and I'll bring it to my dealer tomorrow, I hope they will be able to tell me if it works correctly or not.

·
Retired and happy
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

A tender is not a charger, it doesn't have the ampage to properly charge a battery.
I copied this from a "shop talk" entry on our local HOG newsletter. It was written by the dealerships Master Technician.

It is a charger. I know a tender is not a charger… But I think that normally, as soon as the battery is able to make the starter crank the engine, the coil will will get enough current for producing sparks.

·
Retired and happy
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

It is a charger, I know that a tender is not a good stuff for for charging fully a battery. But I think that as soon as the battery is charged enough for making the starter crank the engine, the coil will be able to make sparks.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Sorry for that question, but what do you call the "kill switch" ? :dunno
Capture.jpg

number 26 in the picture. It's easy to hit and not notice it's off.

·
Retired and happy
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, yes ! I called it the "emergency switch". Of course, it is on. When it is off, the starter doesn't work.

·
Retired citizen
22,097 Posts
OP ain't responding ! I've got another test for OP yet. Is the OP deserting ? Another 1 and something done ?

·
Registered
10,911 Posts
AKA the Run Switch next to Starter Switch.

·
Retired citizen
22,097 Posts
I already did it several times, but there is no spark. The only thing I did not do is to check the ignition module. I just removed it, and I'll bring it to my dealer tomorrow, I hope they will be able to tell me if it works correctly or not.
There's no bench test for the ignition module, if it appears melted then it's bad otherwise it has to be tested installed on the bike.
Still no spark ???
How many miles on the bike ???

1 - 20 of 31 Posts