Harley Davidson Forums banner

No more factory race team?

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  bigblock 
#1 ·
Did anyone see that Harley will no longer field a factory team for flat track racing? I read the article that they were ending collaboration with V & H, because of it.

#2 ·
It seems like the MoCo is divesting a lot of programs lately. They recently announced discontinuing Milwaukee Summerfest support and dissing the Harley Davidson Road House on the Summerfest grounds. Maybe they need some extra cash to manufacture those bicycles !

#6 ·
At least they got rid of that IDIOT president last year that thought his roll was of an apologist for the only good for recreation motorcycle community who was on the edge of his seat with excitement over driver-less vehicles and actually saw nothing wrong with reps from the motorcycle manufactures being blocked from the annual meeting discussing the technology.

He also saw no connection between that slight and the sponsors of that meeting filing for waivers so they wouldn't have to meet motorcycle identification guidlines in general and timelines specifically. He had faith in their promise to continue developing the tech alongside the other systems. So...why the waiver when courts of law only care about written contracts, not promises?

AMA reps attended the first year by invite...attended the 2nd year by congressional invite after not being invited by the tech companies...3rd year and to this day congresspeople are told no plus one guest. For now a few strong motorcycle supporters are among the reps but just an election away from not being there. Oh, btw...NO advancement has been made in the ability to identify motorcycles. Today's crash avoidance systems identify motorcycles so the tech is there.

#5 ·
That rivalry goes waaaaaaay back.

#10 ·
FYI Keep your eye out for a cracked steering head.

#12 ·
It's my understanding that the broken heads cause the accident. Pot holes and rough roads cause the problem. Polaris is supposed have a clamp kit that helps strengthen the casting. They are refusing to do a recall. Be careful.

Reactions: ARIZONA MISFIT
#13 ·
Thanks, I have been watching this issue you mention. Knowledge can be a valuable thing. I know of 2 Indians with the broken necks. One occurred because of an accident...the neck breaking did not cause it. The other involved a motorcycle heavily modified and used a side car. I can see the side car and heavy riding putting undue stresses on the steering head. The particular rider lived and has posted about this on some Indian websites.

If you know of other failures I'd appreciate knowing about them. With any motorcycle I like to keep an eye out for issues.....known, unknown and made up.

I'm considering putting a hand shifter on my Indian and one of the manufacturers actually calls for drilling the neck for mounting.....no thanks.

To my knowledge, Polaris does not have any clamp kits. I would think I would have run across it by now as I'm pretty active on Indian websites. If there is indeed an issue, Polaris should do a recall and correct it. That particular piece of the motorcycle is replaceable. I'd be good with it being steel in that section.

We get tons of potholes up here in the winter. It snows at least 6 months of the year. I don't want to find a cracking issue the hard way.

#14 ·
It sounds like you have it checked out. Just stay safe. The info I got was from a guy who watches the salvage auctions and has seen numerous broken steering heads. Could be wrong or bad info - again stay safe.

Reactions: MedicineBow
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.