Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone out there feels the way I do when it comes to riding to no particular destination. I love to ride my Superlow 1200T, so much so I find myself wishing I actually had a place to go. For some reason I feel the need to have a destination. Sometimes I want to ride so bad I just get on the bike and go, I have no idea where but I go. If there is family function I take the bike while my family takes the car and we all meet at the same place (is that odd?). My question is how many out there just ride to ride, and if so do you ever feel strange about getting on your bike without a real reason other than the fact you love to ride?

·
Wayward Son
23,866 Posts
The best rides I ever had, had no destination.
Would go out and get lost intentionally. Then just enjoy finding my way back.

·
Wayward Son
23,866 Posts
Ha! I thought I was the only one doing that, that's why I didn't mention it in my post.
I`m betting the majority do just that.
Riding is about freedom of the road. Having a destination does not remove that from the love of riding.
But it does tend to dampen it.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
A lot of times I don't even know if I am going to turn left, or right out of my driveway until I get to the end of the driveway and have to make a decision.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I love heading out with no destination no time to be there,and finding a hole in the wall beer joint as a mid point. Usually meet great people that way too

·
Wayward Son
23,866 Posts
A lot of times I don't even know if I am going to turn left, or right out of my driveway until I get to the end of the driveway and have to make a decision.
Your lucky. I live on a dead end. So that decision is already made for me.
But after that all bets are off on the direction.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Some of my best, most memorable rides have had no plan at all just end up where I end up.
My wife hates it that I will also take the bike while the family takes the car.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
90% of my riding has no itinerary, nor a destination, or time limit. I ride till I'm lost, then figure out how to get home, or tell the GPS to take me home.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Typical conversation at my home. "I'm going for a ride". "Where you going"? "Mostly East" (or N., S. or West).

I am so fortunate that Georgia has so many well maintained roads, and so little traffic once you get away from a town. I've lived here for 15 years, and still find myself sorta lost less than 40 miles from home.

I have found that you cannot read a map on the side of the road without someone stopping to offer directions. Understanding or following those directions is a different story. :)

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
90% of my riding has no itinerary, nor a destination, or time limit. I ride till I'm lost, then figure out how to get home, or tell the GPS to take me home.
I don't have a GPS but after sometimes riding for a lengthy period in a rural county(s), and turning onto different numbered two lanes that I'm not familiar with and eventually deciding I should head towards home, I look for a water tower and head in that direction. A water tower usually means a small burg or community and an intersection with road signs with mileages to known destinations.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,116 Posts
Place or no place to go, I like to ride, but the best ones are with no destination in mind. Two years ago I took my most memorable ride. One week, 6 states and 1700 miles with a map. Didn't know where I'd be staying, just rode till I ran out of day light. I did just because I wanted to see what the king and I could do. Your never lost on a bike.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,743 Posts
Many times I have jumped on the bike and taken a ride and found myself stopping at a Wally World 5 states away buying clothes because I hadn't figured on needing any when I left. I've gotten to see some parts of the country I'd have definitely missed had I not done this sort of point the bike and go riding. Having summers off as a teacher definitely helped, too.

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,723 Posts
Understanding or following those directions is a different story. :)
Went out for a ride to find a friend that moved out in the country and stopped at a country store/gas station, I ask a young gal if she knew where 154th county road was ? she started to explain and I guess she could she the confused look on my face.

So she said...I'll show where the road is just follow me, and a mile before I turn off you need to take a left????:eek lol

Now rather I like rides with destination in mind or not..no difference really other than if a destination is in mind I like taking unknown and new route if possile if I've been there before and a different way back, but there are roads I like riding even if I've rode them lots of time before

Think I'll head out right now :eek

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I actually rode around in circles yesterday, just getting some time in the saddle. Found a little mini-railroad. In the process. I'm blessed with great roads around Spokane that wander through some incredible country. I'll go until I run out of pavement, backtrack, take a different road, find the end of pavement there ...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you don't care where you are going you will never get lost--

buddy and I decided to ride death valley without a map we ended up in a small town to get gas - prump larry says - my room mate in college's dad lived in that house over there. I asked when was that he said 36 years ago with no contact since. I said well then we need to knock on the door - his room mate opened the door with wife 2 grand kids harley in the garage - it was fun to listen to a few stories then we were off. I swear weird things happen when you set off without a map.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,743 Posts
All roads go.......someplace!

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
When i was a boy, my family did very little in the form of recreation. But one thing my dad would do would be to take us for a ride in the car. Gas was cheap, even adjustung for inflation, and that was something he could afford to do. We called it "going for a ride in the country". And we loved it.

I rarely have a specified destination when I ride, and even then I almost never have a specific route to follow to get there. My rides are very reminiscent of the feeling of "going for a ride in the country." And I love my rides.

--

·
Registered
946 Posts
Often I head out with the idea of getting a coffee or a beer or an ice cream cone and where I get it can be anywhere from 3 to 300 miles away and I am never sure where it will lead. The only reason I need to ride is a reasonable day weather wise and some gas to burn in the tank.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts