Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on my 02 road king classic, 25,000 miles. sequence of events
Battery was low on charge, charge for 2 hrs. Would not start and attempted to jump as I have before with 250 amp quick start craftsman shop charger. Speedo, tach, mileage indicator, flickered , and heard ticking from ignition key-switch relay beneath seat. Disconnected and purchased battery, installed battery and it cranks great, all lighting work, horn, blinkers etc. but fuel pump not priming and no spark at plug wire ends. The fuel pump was detected a couple years back to going bad , stutter when throttling at high speeds to pass others. Today I replaced the complete assembly, pump,canister, filter, regulator, new screws and gasket, also replaced ignition coil, and EFI system relay under right cover . Checked resistance of plug wires(6.57 to 6.9) all fuses are good. Thought about taking it to the HD shop, Not giving up, Need assistance. What other circuit is related to the initial priming and spark? Is it possible I fried the ECM, or could it be the crankshaft position sensor? Any and all opinions or information would be greatly appreciated. Thank You, Aaron

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Schmidtys - both 15 amp fuses are good, and I replaced the EFI relays, since it was only $9.00 ................

·
Retired citizen
22,124 Posts
You can test the crank sensor. Unplug it and measure the resistance across the pins, should measure 1000 ohms plus or minus 3%.
Also you can run the fuel pump at the pump fuse with a jumper wire from the battery positive terminal, that'll tell you if the pump works. Unplug the fuse and touch the contact in the fuse holder with the jumper and the pump should run.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Schmidtys, I will do that as soon as sun is up, have car on jack stands in garage , not enough room. Hope your available in a few. If the new fuel pump primes with the jump wire, does this confirm a bad ECM or if the CPS is bad does it interrupt power to the fuel pump?

I appreciate your time and assistance.

·
Retired citizen
22,124 Posts
The ECM needs to see feedback from all the engine management sensors before it will fire the coil. If the engine is turning over but the ECM doesn't see the timing signal from the CKP it won't start the ignition process.
Also the pump only runs for 3 seconds or until the engine starts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ohms at CDs

Schmidtys, have 1,048 ohms from pin to pin on CKP connector, and The jumper from battery to fuel pump hot wire at fuse activates fuel pump, it whines as it should.. What do you think?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Test

The ECM needs to see feedback from all the engine management sensors before it will fire the coil. If the engine is turning over but the ECM doesn't see the timing signal from the CKP it won't start the ignition process.
Schmidtys, have 1,048 ohms at two pins for CKP , and the jump wire from battery to fuse for fuel pump does power the fuel pump and whines as normal. I know you mentioned all sensors control the ignition process and I feel that tracing wires with the help of my manual, I do not have an electrical diagnostics manual to give me measurements. What are your thoughts?
I really appreciate the assistance.......Thank You, Aaron

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Other test

Schmidtys.... I also ohmed out the following
Intake air temp sensor - 2735 ohms
Throttle position sensor - 2071 ohms
MAP sensor - 6310 ohms
Engine temp sensor -2603 ohms
Could not find bank angle sensor in schematic????
As mentioned in previous
CKP - 1048
And jump to fuel pump initiates the pump

·
Registered
867 Posts
Fuel line quick connect

Hi , I had the same poblem on a new 2007 . Disconnect & reconnect the fuel line from the gas tank while holding in tight & then release the coupling ring . Good luck . Bud

·
Registered
23 Posts
Take your ground wires aff at the frame and clean them up with some sand paper. As an after thought - you didn't accidently unplug the oil pressure switch, did you? Best I can do via the internet.

·
Retired citizen
22,124 Posts
A couple more things:
Check for stored codes, the procedure is a sticky in the electrical section.
Check for spark at the plugs. The plugs must be screwed into the heads and the plug wires must be connected to the plugs. Use a spark tester that installs between the plug and the wire. The ECM has to detect compression in the cylinders before it will trigger the coil to fire.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

A couple more things:
Check for stored codes, the procedure is a sticky in the electrical section.
Check for spark at the plugs. The plugs must be screwed into the heads and the plug wires must be connected to the plugs. Use a spark tester that installs between the plug and the wire. The ECM has to detect compression in the cylinders before it will trigger the coil to fire.
Schmidtys,

I will learn the procedure and also get the electronic diagnostic manual.

Thank You,

Aaron

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Testing ecm

Schmidtys,

I will learn the procedure and also get the electronic diagnostic manual.

Thank You,

Aaron
Schmidtys, is it possible to test the ECM circuit's either for ohms or continuity? For example and not exact. pin # 11 to ground pin #27, if this is a valid circuit and neither ohms or continuity is measured, it would indicate a bad circuit? . Or does the ECM have to power up to function?

Aaron

·
Retired citizen
22,124 Posts
To test the ECM with a multimeter and flow chart you'll need the correct breakout box for the tests. Breakout boxes run in the $4-500.00 range ! Or a Scanalyzer which costs around $1500.00 if you can find one. Or a H-D Digital Tech computer which you can't buy unless you happen to be an authorized H-D dealer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ecm

To test the ECM with a multimeter and flow chart you'll need the correct breakout box for the tests. Breakout boxes run in the $4-500.00 range ! Or a Scanalyzer which costs around $1500.00 if you can find one. Or a H-D Digital Tech computer which you can't buy unless you happen to be an authorized H-D dealer.
Schmidtys,

I learned alot from this experience, my ECU is bad.
Your time and assistance is appreciated,

Thank You , RIDE SAFE and BE WELL

·
Retired citizen
22,124 Posts
I suggest not jumping the starting system with that big Craftsman charge jumper unit anymore.
Good to hear the problem is solved.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts