Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, I am new to this site but I am impressed with the knowledge of the members.
Here's my problem. When I turn on the ignition and set to run, the starter motor powers up but when I hit start, I get nothing. The oil indicator is lit as well as the neutral indicator. I just purchased the bike 40 days ago and I'm at my wits end. I have owned Harley's before so I checked all the usual stuff- starter connection, battery connection,flob battery to no avail. It's got to be a problem with the switch or some other electrical problem.
Has anyone else experienced this and if so what was the end result?
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Just because the battery will light the panel lights - and even prime the fuel pump - does mean it has the juice to turn the starter. The battery could be bad. Of course, re-check every hot connection and ground first. You can also have the battery tested a local auto parts store. Usually though, you'd get at least a click or two if the battery was bad.

I also think the newer bikes have a neutral safety switch of some sort to keep you from attempting to start the bike in gear. I'd check that as well.

It could also be the starter switch itself.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Call me a bit crazy, have to agree with Chasarms here. Did the battery actually have a full charge on it? A security system can drain a battery in a week. As for changing the battery, even a "brand new" battery can be too low to start a bike if it sat around for too long.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. It turned out to be a bad starter switch and was covered by extended warranty. Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts