Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a little help. I rode to work this morning (2006 electra glide standard). Came out after work and the battery was dead. Put a new battery in it and now it turns over but won't start. Sounds like it isn't getting any fuel but I'm not very mechanically inclined and not sure where to go from here. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

AL

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Tough one.

It takes air, fuel and spark to start. Without any one of those it won't run.

Check start spark at the spark plug. Fuel isn't that hard to see if it is flowing. Air should be a gimme.

After that it starts to get complicated. How many miles on it? How is your chain or belt? Did it jump time? Does it seem to spin the same as it always has or does it spin too freely or too hard?

·
Banned
71 Posts
Looking for a little help. I rode to work this morning (2006 electra glide standard). Came out after work and the battery was dead. Put a new battery in it and now it turns over but won't start. Sounds like it isn't getting any fuel but I'm not very mechanically inclined and not sure where to go from here. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

AL
Easy way for you to check it, spray some starter fluid on air cleaner and see if it trys to start. If it does, its fuel related, if not , its most likely ignition related .

BTY is there plenty of fuel in tank ??? Don't LOL , I've run it dry before . :)

·
Poser Member # 99
18,336 Posts
check to see if there's fuel in tank then check to see if some one turned fuel off. Check to see if run switch is in run . Check to see if some one didn't pull plug wire off and or put cellophane in the boot on plugs so it won't spark check wire plugs you can see make sure they are all plugged in . At work you never know who can mees with your stuff . Some people just don't like bike's or Bikers .

Let us know what you find

The dead battery is a different issue altogether

Good Luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kill switch is on run, full gas tank, 16,000 miles. Seems to turn over the same as it did before. I don't think anyone tampered with the bike as I can see it most of the time and most of the guys at work have bikes. I'll try the starter fluid to see if that works. Thanks for the quick replies. I'll update when I find out something. The battery was dead already but I charged it up last night so I could ride to work, I figured it would hold a charge for the few hours it was parked (as it has a couple times this week). I guess I pushed my luck too far.

Thanks,

AL

·
Registered
632 Posts
If you had to charge or jump the battery this week the battery may be shorted, Need to charge and then load test , Most likely its shorted and wont hold enough juice to fire ECM,, sounds like you need a new battery

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you had to charge or jump the battery this week the battery may be shorted, Need to charge and then load test , Most likely its shorted and wont hold enough juice to fire ECM,, sounds like you need a new battery
I did put a brand new battery in it today after the first "no start". I knewthe battery is fried but I thought I would give it another try ,didn't work out too well.

·
Retired citizen
24,500 Posts
If you don't hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition on remove the maxi-fuse for 5 minutes, that will reset the system like rebooting your computer. Try this method either way because the dead battery may have caused a system fault.
You can check for codes also, the procedure is a sticky in the electrical section here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.