Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have a 08 electra glide my tail lights/running light are not working brakes brake light, blinkers and head light work fine. checked fuse and fuse was blown replaced fuse turned bike on and nothing fuse blown again. have not done any trouble shooting besides reading here. looks like a short. but my question is where should i start the trouble shooting process?
i have done nothing on my bike recently besides ride. any ideas?:mad

·
Banned
71 Posts
hey guys i have a 08 electra glide my tail lights/running light are not working brakes brake light, blinkers and head light work fine. checked fuse and fuse was blown replaced fuse turned bike on and nothing fuse blown again. have not done any trouble shooting besides reading here. looks like a short. but my question is where should i start the trouble shooting process?
i have done nothing on my bike recently besides ride. any ideas?:mad
Look at the wires under the back fender to start with. Also sometimes the bulb socket will short out , check that too . :)

·
Retired citizen
23,355 Posts
Unplug the connector for the rear lights under the seat. The connector that goes into the rear fender. Using a powered test light or multimeter test each pin in the fender harness connector to ground. The grounded wire/wires will be the cause for the blown fuse.

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
Yeah... Unplug the rear fender and turn the bike on. If the fuse blows again you will know the fault is before that connector and if it doesn't blow then you the know that fault is after the connector. Use a wiring diagram to find where each wire goes and what it is supposed to carry. i.e. 12 VDC or if it is a ground wire. If something doesn't add up (by using a multi-meter) then there is more than likely your problem.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here is another question..... is there a common cause for this?something to check befor i start tearing thinga apart?

·
Retired citizen
23,355 Posts
Did this problem just crop up all of a sudden ? No changes or modifications done to the bike prior to the problem ? Does the light system have a modulater or anything to change the light functions ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did this problem just crop up all of a sudden ? No changes or modifications done to the bike prior to the problem ? Does the light system have a modulater or anything to change the light functions ?
no changes. lights are all stock.

·
1,074 Posts
I kept blowing a fuse killing the rear lights but I think it was all rear lights while on a road trip. Big Moose H-D traced it to a short in the wire harness inside the fairing...

·
Retired citizen
23,355 Posts
That's why you should disconnect the rear light connector under the seat, to localize the problem. If the problem is still there with the rear lights disconnected then the problem is up front, if the problem goes away the problem is at the rear. That narrows the search down.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys!! thats what i was thinking at least have a starting point.but i wasnt sure if maybe there was a common issue that caused the problem. i ll let you know how it turns out

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Found it!!!!!
Un plugged harness to the rear lights. Fuse still blown. Opened fairing disconnected from light bar still nothing checked front fender light nothing. Went to the trunk. Took it apart and found one wire inside the trunk with a small rub mark. That was the culprit. Last year I added a deal to move the trunk forward and back ward must not have got wires tucked away. Fixed now
Thanks guys between the forum and the service manual it made the project simple.
One more question. Any suggestions on a battery???

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
803 Posts
Found it!!!!!
Un plugged harness to the rear lights. Fuse still blown. Opened fairing disconnected from light bar still nothing checked front fender light nothing. Went to the trunk. Took it apart and found one wire inside the trunk with a small rub mark. That was the culprit. Last year I added a deal to move the trunk forward and back ward must not have got wires tucked away. Fixed now
Thanks guys between the forum and the service manual it made the project simple.

Yes I would definitely suggest a battery, very hard to get started without one.:rofl: Seriously just go to the search tab, there are hundreds of threads on batteries.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Found it!!!!!

Deka makes the battery for H-D .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts