Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 XL883L Sportster. It's carbureted and very much stock, and everything was working perfectly. It does have the module that converts the turn signals to run/brake/turn. I just purchased a new helmet (G-Max GM78) that has an LED strip in the back that can be wirelessly connected to the brake light of the bike. The wireless kit is G-Max LED Wireless Brake Light Kit - GM54/67/78 054033. Before connecting the kit, I was using a simple test light to ensure that the blue and black wires going to the tail light were for the brake light. The test light never lit up when my wife pressed either brake. The turn signals flashed twice and then went back to the normal run brightness.

Now, all the lights are at the normal run brightness, but:

1. Turn signals do not flash
2. No brake light operation
3. The odometer does show mileage when I press the button on the back of the speedometer, but then goes back off
4. When I turn on the key and start the bike (it does start) all the turn signals flash six times and then go back to the normal run brightness.

I have not cut or spliced into any wires. Does anyone have any experience with this problem? I've searched through the forums, and I've found similar threads but in those cases the bike wouldn't start. Mine starts and runs just fine.

I'm really just looking for a place to start troubleshooting. Thanks in advance for any advise.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
First thing I'd do is disconnect the module, and try the lights. Most likely culprit.

Next up is the turn signal module, or if you have the security system the turn signal security module.
If you were testing the blue and black wires check if somehow you managed to unplug something in that area.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Solved. Turns out that it was just the accessories fuse that had done it's job and blown. It just goes to show, check the absolute simplest stuff first. Maybe the purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts