Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 09 Street Glide and while riding in 5th gear there is a whining noise. I have been in contact with two different Harley shops and both say it is just a noise that I will have to live with. Does anyone else have this problem and if so will it go away?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
1st and 5th are Straight cut gears. Normal. Won't harm anything. Ignore it....

2, 3, 4, are Helical (slant) cut gears. Less strength.

Some people have noticed it LESS by simply changing to a synthetic trans fluid over 20w-50 oil.

I run Redline Heavy Shockproof 70w250 synthetic in my Evo trans. It's rated at a 75w90 oil and works well.

The other reason I like it is because it's pink, and if a trans leak develops, you can tell the difference between it and primary fluid, or even your motoroil.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I hardly notice mine anymore. Either I am getting used to it or my pipes are drowning it out. I have heard that some ppl have complained about tranny noises like rocks or spoons inside the tranny. I have never had more than slight whine when in 5th.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah its the way the gear is cut....for torque puposes. 1st and 5th are cut different for that reason. 1st(need for low end torque) is for moving the massive weight from a dead stop and get it moving and 5th(high end torque) is considerer a Highway passing gear

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Nothing to add to the responses above except to note it does quiet down slightly over time, and I kinda like it... not a bothersome sound and it helps my aging brain know what gear I'm in!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mine had too much whine when I first brought it home. Change to a good synthetic and around 1000 miles it won't be noticeable, or anywhere near as much. Nothing is wrong it is just the nature of the straight cut gears. It will pass. I use Mobil 1 Synthetic gear oil 75w90. The Redline Shock proof does a very good job.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Noisy Six Speed

I had an 08 Road King that had a small but bearable noise in 5th gear, but when you down shifted from 2nd to 1st, it sounded like incoming artillery. It drove me nuts. I was told by the kids at the dealer that "all six speeds are noisy" and mine was on the upper end of the scale. Well I kept complaining until they said to bring it in and they would look at it. I actually spoke to two different people at the Mother Ship in Milwaukee. Long story short, they pulled a brand new tranny off the assembly line and over nighted it to the dealer. I went without my brand new ride for a whole month, but it was worth it. The moral of this story is, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Don't settle, for their B.S. ask to take a demo (of the same model) out, and see what kind of noise it is making. When you drop 20K on a new bike, it damn well ought to run like a new bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks guy's this has been really helpful, Just had my 08 RKC first serviced and same thing, let the dealer know about the noisy 5th, you sort of expect it in 1st though. The dealer noted it and said that they took their 09 for a test ride and it had the same noise, I will ask them about the synthetic oil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts