Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently purchased a street bob softail 2020 and a noise is coming from the back that sounds like a rubbing noise. The bike has about 1200 miles in it currently. During the first service harley told me I've just got a noisy belt and it won't be covered under warranty as its not mechanically faulty. The noise is ridiculously loud and annoying. I bought this bike cash and not very happy about spending so much and just basically being told its something I have to live with. Has anyone else had similar experiences with their belt and manage to get it resolved?

·
Registered
903 Posts
I would take it to another Harley-Davidson Dealership and have a different mechanic look at it. Your bike is under a two-year unlimited mileage warranty and doesn't have to be serviced at the selling dealership. This way you will also get it documented in the system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a FLHTCUI 2002 about 1 year a go I broke my belt the new was making a similar sound. I found the aliment was out by only a fraction but to cause the noise. I was recommended to use a silicone spray and some times, it stops the rubber drying out. Niemo

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Everything I've read about belts over the years says not to use anything on the belt. I think my HD service manual also recommends nothing on them.

·
Frozen Member
2,327 Posts
It could be a worn pulley. Inspect the teeth closely and look at the mesh between pulley & belt. I know of two bikes, one with only 15K miles and one with 30K that needed new rear pulleys. I think its related to riding in wet weather more than anything. There are lots of micro abrasives in road spray.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts