Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new Dyna Wide Glide and the motor seems to be excessively noisy. I could just be me, my last bike was an 07 Sportster. My bike has 700 miles on it and what I think I am hearing sounds like ticking coming from the valve train at between 2500 and 4000 rpms. Is this normal?

Last night I was riding and got stuck at a couple of long lights. The motor seemed to get overly hot considering it was only 60 degrees. While sitting at two or three different lights at idle i goosed the gas a little and there was a a diesel like valve clatter like some cars do when they are overheating or the timing is off. This can't be normal but I tried to get it to repeat this morning and couldn't do it. It was cooler and the motor seemed much cooler. Is this something i should worry about or should I take it back to the dealer?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
717 Posts
There are In depth threads on this subject. Good luck and yes Harley's are noisy. Also in heavy stop and go traffic the rear cylinder will stop firing too help in cooling it down. Scared the bejesus out me the first time also.

Ps: the rear cylinder cut out is covered in the owners manual.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Time for straight through drag pipes with no baffles ....................now all you can here is that sweet Harley sound ! LOL .
Normal sounds except for the diesel clatter , better have that checked out by the dealer .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I run premium in it and I took the baffles out to give it some sound. I noticed tonight with it sitting in my driveway idling when I rev'd it for a few seconds the pipes were GLOWING red from the cylinder to about halfway down each pipe. This can't be normal.

·
Registered
146 Posts
GLOWING?? seriously, take pics cause the dealer ain't gonna believe you (we wanna see em too)

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
First thing I'd do, is put the baffles back in and see if that "cures" the problem. If so, then you need to have it tuned, you'll have to pony up for a tuner and dyno time.

·
Señor Member
19,831 Posts
I have actually seen that happen. I assume it's from way too lean a mixture.

This.

With that much air running through it and only stock fuel volume, you're AFR is lean as eff. Don't burn that thing up.

Add some fuel to the mix, IMO.

·
Registered
42,600 Posts
I have actually seen that happen. I assume it's from way too lean a mixture.
Timing being backed off too much can cause that too....

Incomplete combustion in the cylinders, continuing to burn when AF mixture enters the exhaust pipes.

·
Señor Member
19,831 Posts
Timing being backed off too much can cause that too....

Incomplete combustion in the cylinders, continuing to burn when AF mixture enters the exhaust pipes.

Either way he's gonna cook some sh¡t.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts