Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2014 roadking ,when I change gear the clunking is horrendous I've only
done 4400mls ,how can I make it smoother or is this normal. I owned a 2002 roadking
and don't remember that bike being so bad.Please help

·
Registered
42,096 Posts
New transmissions seem to be noisier than one with some miles on it.

Running 75w-140 gear oil in transmission will help.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
What Kainam said.
Noise is in the ear of the beholder too.
Is this your first Harley?

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
First, make sure the clutch is adjusted properly and that the primary and transmission is not overfilled with oil. Clutch adjustment problems seem to be the main cause of the "clunk"

·
Banned
71 Posts
First, make sure the clutch is adjusted properly and that the primary and transmission is not overfilled with oil. Clutch adjustment problems seem to be the main cause of the "clunk"
Most of the "clunk" is caused by clutch drag...... ATF in primary helps.... a bunch. :thumbsup :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have a 10 Road King Classic and I hear the gears when they change, and it is louder than my 05 deuce was, also it has a different tranny a 6 speed and not a 5 speed. Can't compare a 02 with a 14.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OH! my noisy transmission

Thanks for the replies.

Has anyone else tried automatic transmission fluid in the primary drive. True you cannot compare a 2014 6 speed box with a 5 speed 2002 box I just thought that the transmission
would be smoother on a newer model. The bikes dew a service any time now and if the dealer cannot sort It will try myself.
The other question I have ,what silencers can I put on the bike to make it sound more like
a Harley and less like a weedy jap bike without messing with the engine and not spending
a fortune .because Harley parts in GB cost a packet of money.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
Dumb question... Which Dexron?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Your welcome Mysterious Bob, I guess riding mine for 6 years and putting 15k on it, I'm used to the loud gear change and it doesn't bother me, was just out today and it's loud.

·
Curmudgeon
7,040 Posts
Mobil1 Synthetic ATF Dexron/Mercon Automatic Transmission Fluid What about this?

·
Registered
42,096 Posts
That would be good as well.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Mobil1 Synthetic ATF Dexron/Mercon Automatic Transmission Fluid What about this?
Should work great. I'd just suggest waiting for the warranty to expire before using a non-specified lube in the thing. I use Amsoil brand and love the feel. Used Pennzoil before that. Any Dexron rated transmission fluid will work just fine. Ford type works, but shifts are rather abrupt, clutch locks up Too quick! Good for racing.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've owned numerous bikes over 40 years of riding and my Sportster (first Harley) is by far the loudest shifting bike I've ever owned. I have 3,200 miles on it and there has been no change since new. Since I've had no shifting issues I attributed it to being the norm for Harleys.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
All of the Harleys I have ever ridden make the clunk when shifting. Some more, some less. Currently 79,000 miles on this one and still clunking.

I did a little racing and discovered that speed shifting and not using the clutch eliminates the noise.

Not a scientific answer, just my experience. I used to think it was the transmission but I am leaning towards the clutch.

Anybody have a Barnett or other after market transmission with other results?

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

The other question I have ,what silencers can I put on the bike to make it sound more like
a Harley and less like a weedy jap bike without messing with the engine and not spending
a fortune .because Harley parts in GB cost a packet of money.

Your engine is actually a big air pump. You can put slip on mufflers on if you don't change the air intake. If you change air intake, you will need to re tune.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts