Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
South GA *******
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the trip home from the Collision, I started to notice a "racket" coming from the primary. Now that I have had time to get in the shop and troubleshoot the thing, I've found that it makes the noise, more like a whirling or grinding noise, when in neutral with the clutch in or out. When you grab the clutch and drop it into first or second noise goes away. The noise is there when bike is hot or cold. Gonna try and take her apart Sunday to see what's going on in there. I've searched and found several points of interest and things to check. But I'm open to any suggestions anyone may have that has experienced this same issue. Oh yeah, bike is a 09 SG with 25k on the clock. Thanks.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,958 Posts
Definitely need to take a look inside to see what's up. Seems that in '09, the compensator was still causing problems. Just had an issue with mine a week before ES. Glad it got caught before the trip.

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
Inner primary bearing is my thought. Only makes noise when there's no load on the drive train.

·
South GA *******
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: got everything taken apart, and notice that I didn't even have to put two hands on the compensator nut to get it off. I also found that the inner primary mainshaft bearing was bad. It sounds horrible. The race is also junk. Gotta go make an order now!

Attachments

·
South GA *******
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got all the parts ordered today. New SE Compensator and rotor, new inner primary bearing and race. Along with all the seals and gaskets. Now just waiting for the brown truck to come see me.

·
South GA *******
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got my baby back going and no more roaring from the primary! Had everything tore down so I started this morning putting things back together. First, I installed the new inner primary bearing race, then press led in new bearing and seal.

Attachments

·
South GA *******
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Next, it was on to assembling the primary. Before starting assembly, I went ahead and glued the plastic "thing" (since I don't know the proper term) to the primary cover so that it could be setting up while I worked. Forgot to take pics of that. Sorry. Then I started installing the SE Compensator and clutch assembly. Also went ahead and installed the primary chain adjuster and the starter. Then adjusted the clutch.

Attachments

·
South GA *******
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Then on to installing the primary cover and adding new fluid. Also installed shift linkages and driver and passenger foot rests.

·
South GA *******
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Once I put the bags, side, covers and seat back on, it was fire in the hole! Was definitely quieter right off the bat. After a short test ride to let the primary chain adjuster get back set l, all is well!! Now it's time to ride!!!

·
South GA *******
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yon, it was the first time that I've had this one tore down that much. I had already installed a new clutch, but that was all.

Auto correct

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
my buddy just got a newer bagger in the shop that made some noise-pulled the cover and the compensator nut was grinding into the cover- the slop beat everything up pretty bad i guess

·
South GA *******
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mine wasn't quite that loose but it was loose. Bad bearing and race was the main issue. But I went ahead and upgraded Compensator while I was in there. Terribly common problem for that year

·
Señor Member
19,802 Posts
Mine is chirping. Subscribing in case I need this experience. Thanks a lot, baggerboy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 35 Posts