Harley Davidson Forums banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yes, I agree w/annual battery fob changes & I do that. I only have a fob on my 04 LowRider because it's equipped w/the then optional alarm system. It's all manual & I seldom use it. Thinking maybe when the alarm is manually actuated even on my bike, it won't start until the alarm is turned off. Maybe that's why a good battery would be critical on the newer alarm systems that activate & turn off automatically because if the battery isn't up to snuff, the alarm wouldn't turn off automatically & therefore the bike wouldn't start?
I think your right on that. I know I got out one day after buying mine and no start. Called my buddy he said check the fob battery. I was thinking well surly that’s not it. He brought me a battery and it fired right up. Now I keep a extra in the bag and try remember to change em out in the spring. I hate having to keep up with that fob. Same buddy has a watch with his fob in it. You send them your fob and they take the working part out of them and install them in the watch. Pretty trick idea if you wear a watch everyday.

·
Retired citizen
24,722 Posts
Yes, I agree w/annual battery fob changes & I do that. I only have a fob on my 04 LowRider because it's equipped w/the then optional alarm system. It's all manual & I seldom use it. Thinking maybe when the alarm is manually actuated even on my bike, it won't start until the alarm is turned off. Maybe that's why a good battery would be critical on the newer alarm systems that activate & turn off automatically because if the battery isn't up to snuff, the alarm wouldn't turn off automatically & therefore the bike wouldn't start?
Well if you have the button actuated FOB the security system won't activate until you push FOB button, it can't actuate by itself, you have to push the button to activate or deactivate the security system. The later security systems are proximity alarm systems where the FOB is in close proximity to the antenna located under the seat near the main battery.

·
Registered
43,147 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
A '99 dose not have a FOB. Just a key. I'm not all fancy like that.
I don't think I would have selected the alarm option but the bike I bought off the floor of Patriot H-D in Fairfax, VA already had it on as a factory installed option. About the only time I have used it is when I have stayed overnight in hotels or motels on road trips & leave the bike parked overnight. As I said, mine is manual. Just click once w/i range to engage & next morning press twice to disengage. Overall, it's nice to have but really not necessary IMO.

·
Registered
43,147 Posts
I no longer have my 05, but when I did, I had the auto arm feature turned off.

I found it more of an annoyance than a benefit, cause I never armed my bike manually when I parked it for the day in the garage. I was always tripping the alarm when I tried to take off the next day.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I no longer have my 05, but when I did, I had the auto arm feature turned off.

I found it more of an annoyance than a benefit, cause I never armed my bike manually when I parked it for the day in the garage. I was always tripping the alarm when I tried to take off the next day.
Thanks Kainam. I've always intended to add the siren but never got around to it. Just looked them up & learned the current sirens come w/a 9 Volt rechargeable Nikel Metal hydride battery; believe back in 04 it did not have a recharge capability or maybe it did. Did you have a siren on your '05 & if so do you recall if its battery was rechargeable? Anyway, I just ordered one & it will give me something to do in the garage during this long & bitterly cold South Dakota winter!

·
Registered
43,147 Posts
Yeah, I added the siren myself. Pretty simple install. The battery automatically recharges off the motorcycle's 12V electrical system. I've never had to replace the 9V battery. When I traded the 05 in on my 21, I migrated the siren to the new bike.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yeah, I added the siren myself. Pretty simple install. The battery automatically recharges off the motorcycle's 12V electrical system. I've never had to replace the 9V battery. When I traded the 05 in on my 21, I migrated the siren to the new bike.
Appreciate this exchange & great information; thank you.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The 2008 the fob was for the alarm system. The 2020 it is the key. I may have to switch to yearly since its it runs everything now.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Reading up on the siren, it looks like it only charges when the motor is running. Assuming it will not charge when on my battery tender as Harley slumbers through the winter months. Is this correct?

·
Registered
43,147 Posts
Reading up on the siren, it looks like it only charges when the motor is running. Assuming it will not charge when on my battery tender as Harley slumbers through the winter months. Is this correct?
Not sure, but the only time current would be taken from the 9V battery is when it is sounding the siren. I have never drained the 9V battery.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I use OEM HD Plugs in my bikes. Not much more than a gallon of gas out here nowadays.......

·
Registered
91 Posts
First HD, and I'm having small issues. A bit of the old background, I have been riding for about 3 years now but my first "real" bike was and is a Honda Shadow that I fully built myself. Full frame off restoration so I know metric bikes OK.
But Being 6'5 that bike was and is a tad bit to small I look like a Grizzly on a bicycle at the circus. LOL
So a friend of mine who has had a heart attack and is now finishing his cancer treatments ( yes he beat it and is now in remission) who can no longer ride pretty much gave me his '99 Ultra Glide.

I'm doing a good bit of normal maintenance before I ride it. It has been sitting for about 1 1/2 years. Getting ready to replace the CPS because it has now spark to the plugs. It ran last week just fine. I drained the tank changed the gas and rode it home and for a bit the following day. It did have a hard time starting but it started. Now nothing, it will crank all day but no spark. Not a big deal, but the spark plugs themselves look like they have seen better days.
Can I just grab spark plugs from like Auto Zone or do they have to be "special" plugs from HD? The Honda have different sizes from normal plugs so you have to go to Honda to get the plugs.
I want to replace the plug wires as well but I have those. This will get 1 of the items off my "to do" list on this bike.
So, how's it going w/getting your '99 Ultra running like you want? Any progress?

·
Registered
1999 Ultra classic
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I'm waiting on the fuel filter that was lost in the post from Amazon. It was taken out with the tornado in Tenn. Once I have that I will get it all done at one time. I have to drain the tank and take it off to get the plug wires and I will also run the wiring for the satellite radio and what not.I should be able to get started this weekend.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts