Harley Davidson Forums banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm waiting on the fuel filter that was lost in the post from Amazon. It was taken out with the tornado in Tenn. Once I have that I will get it all done at one time. I have to drain the tank and take it off to get the plug wires and I will also run the wiring for the satellite radio and what not.I should be able to get started this weekend.
Thanks. Looking forward to learning everything came out the way you want it to. Pls keep us posted here . . .

·
Registered
1999 Ultra classic
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Replaced the CPS and she fired right up. Even idles better now. I will hold off on the plugs and wires until the shop replaces the bars for longer ones. I will have them replace the fuel line and while they have the tank off go ahead and change out the plugs and wires.
But she runs like a champ.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not sure, but the only time current would be taken from the 9V battery is when it is sounding the siren. I have never drained the 9V battery.
So the siren I ordered from H-D arrived yesterday & I just finished installing it in my 04 LowRider. Took quite a bit of fiddling around getting the new siren plugged in as the lead on the plug could have been a couple of inches longer. Anyway, finally got it connected & the siren in place, everything tucked away, bolted back in place, seat reinstalled, etc. Appears to be in order and I can actuate the alarm & turn it back off again.

When I do actuate the alarm, I get three chirps rather than two. My manual tells me, "If the siren is armed and the internal siren battery is dead, shorted, disconnected, or has been charging for a period longer than 24 hours, the siren will respond with three chirps instead of two."

I'm thinking since my siren is new, its 9 Volt rechargeable battery simply needs to be charged by running the bike for (I believe) a couple of hours or so to bring siren battery up to full charge or at least sufficient charge to signal two rather than three chirps when I arm the alarm..

Kainam or anyone else who has installed their siren module, please confirm if you believe my assumption is correct or if perhaps my installation has failed. The weather is such here in South Dakota where I live that it's going to be some time before I'm able to get the bike out & run the engine & charging system for a while.

Thanks all. I have come to rely on y'all here on the forum for very valuable information.

·
Registered
91 Posts
So the siren I ordered from H-D arrived yesterday & I just finished installing it in my 04 LowRider. Took quite a bit of fiddling around getting the new siren plugged in as the lead on the plug could have been a couple of inches longer. Anyway, finally got it connected & the siren in place, everything tucked away, bolted back in place, seat reinstalled, etc. Appears to be in order and I can actuate the alarm & turn it back off again.

When I do actuate the alarm, I get three chirps rather than two. My manual tells me, "If the siren is armed and the internal siren battery is dead, shorted, disconnected, or has been charging for a period longer than 24 hours, the siren will respond with three chirps instead of two."

I'm thinking since my siren is new, its 9 Volt rechargeable battery simply needs to be charged by running the bike for (I believe) a couple of hours or so to bring siren battery up to full charge or at least sufficient charge to signal two rather than three chirps when I arm the alarm..

Kainam or anyone else who has installed their siren module, please confirm if you believe my assumption is correct or if perhaps my installation has failed. The weather is such here in South Dakota where I live that it's going to be some time before I'm able to get the bike out & run the engine & charging system for a while.

Thanks all. I have come to rely on y'all here on the forum for very valuable information.
Just found this on page 12 of H-D's Security Siren Instructions that accompanied my new siren.

"NOTE. Siren may not function properly when first installed. Nickel metal hydride (NiMH) rechargeable batteries discharge fairly rapidly when stored. They will lose as much as 1%-2% of their charge per day, and after a few months of storage at room temperature will be mostly discharged. If stored for a very long period without charging, they may need a few charging cycles to regain their full capacity. To charge NiMH battery, operate vehicle for a minimum of four hours."

This tells me my assumption that all I need to do is to start running Harley & all will be well may be correct. What do y'all think?

Another question: I can't recall whether my alarm chirped @ all when arming & disarming before I installed the siren. Is it the siren that chirps or does the system chirp even w/o the siren installed?

·
Registered
43,147 Posts

It will charge with the bike sitting there. IIRC, mine also chirped 3x until the initial charge of the 9V battery over night.

·
Registered
43,147 Posts
Just found this on page 12 of H-D's Security Siren Instructions that accompanied my new siren.

"NOTE. Siren may not function properly when first installed. Nickel metal hydride (NiMH) rechargeable batteries discharge fairly rapidly when stored. They will lose as much as 1%-2% of their charge per day, and after a few months of storage at room temperature will be mostly discharged. If stored for a very long period without charging, they may need a few charging cycles to regain their full capacity. To charge NiMH battery, operate vehicle for a minimum of four hours."

This tells me my assumption that all I need to do is to start running Harley & all will be well may be correct. What do y'all think?

Another question: I can't recall whether my alarm chirped @ all when arming & disarming before I installed the siren. Is it the siren that chirps or does the system chirp even w/o the siren installed?
It is the siren you just installed that chirps. You can turn off/on the chirp confirmation.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It is the siren you just installed that chirps. You can turn off/on the chirp confirmation.
Thank you, my friend. You have saved me from a sleepless night. I will leave Harley alone plugged in to his battery tender & try arming hopefully w/only two chirps tomorrow morning. I will let y'all know what happens then.

·
Registered
91 Posts
So, this morning I armed the system & - 3 chirps. Then I disarmed the system & armed it again - again 3 chirps. But this time I sat on the bike while armed & straightened the bike. Immediately the system detected the motion, lights began flashing, & the siren started to blare. I then deactivated the system & it turned off. Now I'm thinking everything is okay but maybe the siren battery isn't yet fully charged.

The siren is definitely very loud!

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
91 Posts
So, this morning I armed the system & - 3 chirps. Then I disarmed the system & armed it again - again 3 chirps. But this time I sat on the bike while armed & straightened the bike. Immediately the system detected the motion, lights began flashing, & the siren started to blare. I then deactivated the system & it turned off. Now I'm thinking everything is okay but maybe the siren battery isn't yet fully charged.

The siren is definitely very loud!

Any thoughts?
No status change from previous post. Everything seems to be fine, installed correctly, etc. w/exception of 3 chirps when alarm turn on rather than 2 chirps. My thought is I should check for diagnostic codes that might reside in the ECU. I will try to do this tomorrow morning & will report back here w/the results. I would welcome any suggestions or recommendations between now & then.

·
Super Moderator
11,628 Posts
I would welcome any suggestions or recommendations between now & then.
Is it possible to remove the 9v battery and put it on a 9v charger for four hours to top it off, or replace it with a fresh charged 9v NiCad?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Is it possible to remove the 9v battery and put it on a 9v charger for four hours to top it off, or replace it with a fresh charged 9v NiCad?
Thank you & I really appreciate your thinking about this and inputting. It's an excellent suggestion & I may have to do that but I won't do it if I don't have to.

It would not be easy to do on a Dyna of that vintage @ least. Quite a lot of disassembly & then still very hard to access after that. Then rinse & repeat putting it all back together. But mainly I believe the siren module is charged 12V DC directly from the bike's battery (won't charge actually unless battery providing minimum of 12.3V DC) & I don't know where I would access such a charger or even if one exists.

Every indication is the siren's battery is working and the siren is behaving as it should aside from the 1 extra chirp when activating the alarm.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thank you & I really appreciate your thinking about this and inputting. It's an excellent suggestion & I may have to do that but I won't do it if I don't have to.

It would not be easy to do on a Dyna of that vintage @ least. Quite a lot of disassembly & then still very hard to access after that. Then rinse & repeat putting it all back together. But mainly I believe the siren module is charged 12V DC directly from the bike's battery (won't charge actually unless battery providing minimum of 12.3V DC) & I don't know where I would access such a charger or even if one exists.

Every indication is the siren's battery is working and the siren is behaving as it should aside from the 1 extra chirp when activating the alarm.
So just finished checking for codes & there are none.

My mind keeps going back to Kainam's assurance the siren battery charges when the ignition switch is off vs. what I have found in writing from H-D stating, "To charge NiMH battery, operate vehicle for a minimum of four hours." So, it comes down to whether the alarm system &/or the siren battery are connected "live" when the ignition switch is off, whether or not a tender is present (how would the bike know?). Seems to me the alarm system for sure must be live when switch is off in order for it to operate, but it would make sense that the siren would only be switched on if the alarm is activated, rather than having the siren constantly live & its battery constantly charging. If the siren & its battery charger were on constantly (except according to H-D when the available battery power drops below 12.5 volts), I think this could seriously degrade the main battery, threatening its ability to be able to start the vehicle unless a tender were always used.

Perhaps someone with more expertise could read the wiring diagram to see whether that would answer the question.

As of now, I'm leaning toward tentatively accepting H-D's guidance that one must operate vehicle for a minimum of four hours to sufficiently charge the siren battery. The only way to test this that I see is to ride the bike for that duration & following that, to see if my extra 3rd chirp remains or goes away. I will need to wait for much better weather to test this theory, however.

Thinking I could also just leave the tender plugged in & turn the ignition on but w/o motor running for 4 hours, but I don't believe doing that would be a good idea.

Still wide open for thoughts, analysis of wiring diagram results, etc. Thanks all . . .

·
Super Moderator
11,628 Posts
Does the system still alert you when armed and you disturb it, ex tripping the sensors, as long as it's protecting you I would not worry about it until riding season returns and you're able to ride & charge it, [JMHO]

·
Registered
91 Posts
Does the system still alert you when armed and you disturb it, ex tripping the sensors, as long as it's protecting you I would not worry about it until riding season returns and you're able to ride & charge it, [JMHO]
Thank you, TaxmanHog. Your conclusion is exactly where I am.

The system alerts me as it should when I arm it (my lights flash twice but the siren chirps 3 rather than 2 times as it should). When I disarm the system, lights flash once & siren chirps once exactly as it should. When alarm is on & active, the red key symbol on the speedometer flashes every 2 seconds exactly as it should.

Your handle has me curious. Retired IRS agent, tax preparer, or what . . .? :rolleyes:

61 - 76 of 76 Posts