Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out that in N.C. if your involved in a motorcycle wreck that involves only you and your rider if your 2 up that you are not covered for medicial pay. If there is another vechicle involved you are covered by their insurance or your uninsured motorist coverage. I wounder how many people are riding around unaware that if they go down and there isn't another vechicle involved, your work insurance has to cover you. So what if your part-timer, or unemployed, or your rider isn't on your work coverage or does'nt have insurance? I also wounder how many other states are like N.C. Something everyone should be looking into.

·
Guitarslinger
3,316 Posts
wow, never knew that. Thanks for bringing it up.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Didn't you ever read the policy? It's spelled out in my policy.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It covers medical if there is another vechicle involved but not you & rider if you go down. Worth checking into, alot of my friends checked their policys and found out their not covered. Our friend who went down on the Parkway and now has a broken collar-bone and broken rib found out the hard way~~~better look into it.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Soon everyone will be covered under commi:bigbarf osamacare.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,349 Posts
I think it is the same here is Mississippi. I never carried the medical because I have always had pretty good coverage at work...and now Medi-care (which at my age is what you get like it or not). Just a caution, if you can afford it, get all of the uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage you can. When I went down, the Nice Lady in the SUV that almost killed me carried barely enough liability to pay for the bike (minus lawyer fees, not even that). I had to go after my own insurance to help pay the hospital bill and get the new bike later.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whats happening is people are going to the dealer and buying their prized Hog all excited in the moment signing here and initialing there and riding off into the wind unaware that unless they have medicial coverage through their work if they go down in a single vechicle accident ie. deer, gravel in road, they are not covered and they are not being informed of this only to find out when the worst happens. Even the N.C. State Department of Insurance agreed that agents should do a better job of informing riders of the no Med/Pay in Carolina.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I thought they were all like that. I think the same thing is true of my car.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But on your automoble you have the option of adding Med/Pay here in N.C. you can do the same on your Auto but not your bike.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I stand corrected. But...my wife will be covered medically if we went down by ourselves or someone who borrows (hypothetical..because that ain't happening) my bike goes down. Only THE INSURED is not covered. So..as a friends wife suggested...you buy the bike I want & I buy the bike you want....and we ride each others bike! LOL!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Texas was the only state i found that offers Med/Pay on a motorcycle, everywhere elese you have to rely on your work health coverage~~~~sux if you a part timer. And of course in Texas the bike has to be registered in that state.

·
2,327 Posts
There is Med Pay in New Hampshire. It is the smallest piece of the policy, and always has been for auto or bike. I think the intention was to pay for immediate attention and then your personal health care would then kick in. None of this was a surprise until health care got out of control and a lot of people are without coverage. Don't faal off thebike, alo don't fall down the stairs

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its not spelled out in my policy. In N.C. Med/Pay is not extended to rider or passenger, spent days calling state department of insurance and different agencies. Don't trust what you see in your policy, call em and ask specifficaly.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Arkansas has it. I have $25K of rider/passenger coverage on my bike policywhich will cover deductibles and max out of pocket from my regular medical insurance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts