Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, simple question. I just changed all the fluids on my 2010 electraglide classic. I read a whole bunch of diffrent threads on different types of oil and weights and so on. I heard people using redline in the tranny, amsoil oil, mobil one and on and on. So, I wanted to keep it simple and didnt want to have to order anything by mail or go to three different stores. I just went to the dealer, bought syn3 for all boxes, harley filter and o ring, primary gasket kit and called it a day. Got my 10% hog discount and just did the work. People around here say they use syn3 all the time with no problems. Anyone out there do the same, and problems with syn3 in the tranny case?? I figure I can run it for a while and always just change it if I dont like it but im going up to Americade next week and wanted to just get it done. Also first time I changed all the fluids myself (easy stuff), just got bike in January, bought with 2k on clock, now have 5400. Dont know what was in it before hand, bought from dealer so another reason why i wanted to change it also.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
I dod that one my 2010 and had 25k on it no problems. Im runing syn 3 in oil and primary and redline in the tranny of my 13. Its what the dealer did, i did the 3 yrs maintenance agreement on it when i bought so i figure bu the tome its out, ill have the garage cleaned out ao i can get a bike in there to work on it.... lol.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
100k Harley,100kBMW
258 Posts
You done Good. You're ok using Harley Syn-3 in all three compartments. Happy and safe riding up to Americade.

·
Go Army!
632 Posts
USCGMAC, you won't go wrong with using SYN3 in all three holes, but strongly suggest trying Redline in the transmission - at least for a cycle. I switched and had a significant and noticable reduction in noise, especially the "clank" when shifting. The difference it made was amazing. Another benefit is the color of the oil - it's purple. If there happens to be an oil puddle under the bike and it's brown, you'll know right off its not the tranny. Oh, and finding neutral is a breeze with the heavier oil.

I didn't think about this at first, but since engine oils contain additives to keep contaminants suspended, why use it in the transmission when the transmission doesn't have to deal with the byproducts that an engine puts off. Anyway, check out the link: Red Line Synthetic Oil - Motorcycles, ATVs, and Powersports - V-Twin Transmission Oil with ShockProof® Good luck!

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
I ran synth 3 in all three holes until I did the 10k and switched to Amsoil. Haven't noticed much difference, if any. Maybe a little quieter trans and a little chattier top end. Maybe a bit cooler, but that may have more to do with the catectomy.

No worries from my perspective.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have ran syn3 for 90k miles simply because I never researched other oils I sure wish I did not have to drop $75-100
Every time I change the oil

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Absolutely no reason to drop 75 bucks for an oil change.

Engine:
Any name brand conventional 20w50, about 5.50 per quart.

Primary:
10w40 or 20w50 motor oil (not energy conserving type oil, look on the label), or Automatic Transmission Fluid, any type is fine.

Transmission:
90w synthetic gear lube, about 10 bucks .

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
I remember the days when a quart was $.99. Shit changed.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I run the syn3 since the bike was new in 09 - no problems.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
In all fairness, I think virtually any legit oil, synthetic or dyno is adequate to protect the inside of motors for a typical lifetime. The question I have as which protect the best and most often result in the longest motor life.

I'm sure there are already tons of threads on the subject.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies, I wanted to use a synthetic oil to keep the heat down in the summer plus offer the best protection. Ive heard different views on the syn3 oil by Harley so I just wanted a little reassurance that this oil will work fine. Rode about 150 miles last two days and everything seems smooth and quiet so I guess it will work fine. Another main thing I was looking to hear about is using it in the tranny, being that alot of people seem to be running a much heavier weight oil in their transmission. Anyway, I was just looking for peoples opinion on this particular oil. The syn3 by Harley is most likely produced by another big named company anyway with the Harley label slapped on it.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
I don't think syn3 is full synthetic. Not that it matters.

·
Registered
38,950 Posts
Another main thing I was looking to hear about is using it in the tranny, being that alot of people seem to be running a much heavier weight oil in their transmission.

At operating temperatures, 20w50 motor oil is the same viscosity as 75w90 gear oil.

The difference is that gear oil has additives that increase it's shear strength and withstand extreme metal on metal pressures which is useful for the sliding action between gears in a transmission.

And another viscosity chart,,,,,,,

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
I believe most quality modern Dino oil is considered good in water cooled engines for 5K. Keep in mind that in an air cooled engine oil is also the coolant.

My indy tells me that you can run any quality oil, Dino or syn but change it every 2500 - 3K. He's serviced Harley exclusively for 30+ yrs and has the same philosophy as me about oil " oil is cheap, engines aren't "

·
Registered
38,950 Posts

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Everything I've read said that Hugo Chavez's Citgo makes HD oil.
This is one reason I won't use Syn3, another is it is NOT a full synthetic.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts