Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding 412's for about 7 months now on my 883 and they are too stiff for me. I contacted the company but they told me they do not have lighter springs for my shocks. I am 170 lb.

I thought $300 would buy me more than this.

Any suggestions? Would 430's be a signifcant improvement?

·
Wayward Son
23,865 Posts
From the their page about the 412`s.
A five-position cam style preload adjuster lets you dial in your ride whether you're a light rider or heavy hitter.
So we can assume you have tried all 5 adjustments.

Also. Any time you go to a shorter shock you will usually experience a stiffer ride due to less travel.

·
Wayward Son
23,865 Posts
Looks like there are two types of 412`s
412 Cruise Series Shocks and the 412 Series Shocks.
I will figure that you got the later mentioned.
They come available in different lengths. That is why I mentioned shorter shocks.
If you have tried all 5 of the available adjustments then it is possible that the 412`s just are not what you are looking for.
Everyone wants a little something different from their bike, has a different feeling for what is an acceptable ride.

Sometimes it can take more then just a shock swap to get there. Experimenting with tire pressure, a different seat..... :dunno

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like there are two types of 412`s
412 Cruise Series Shocks and the 412 Series Shocks.
I will figure that you got the later mentioned.
They come available in different lengths. That is why I mentioned shorter shocks.
If you have tried all 5 of the available adjustments then it is possible that the 412`s just are not what you are looking for.
Everyone wants a little something different from their bike, has a different feeling for what is an acceptable ride.

Sometimes it can take more then just a shock swap to get there. Experimenting with tire pressure, a different seat..... :dunno
There is no need to try all 5 levels of adjustment since after the lowest setting, the shocks get stiffer.

Would love to hear from someone who went from 412's to 430's.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I bought the 412's in Heavy Duty with a 12" length for my W/G & on the lowest setting the bike rides like chit but looks fantastic . Tried raising the springs up two notches and "VIOLA" ! Still looks great and rides much smoother . Probably should have just bought the standard 412 series !

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just a dumb question here but I always though preload compensated for different weights so the sag (suspension height with load) was to the properly designed level. With that definition doesn't the heavier weight setting raise the suspension slightly to give the desired final height? Some of the posts here seem to imply the opposite. Which is correct?

·
Wayward Son
23,865 Posts
Pre-load is more about the tension on the spring. It affects the stiffness of the spring which affects the amount of give when loaded with the bike weight, rider, passenger, gear. Also the amount of dive in the front end when braking.
On some set-ups\shock types it may affect the height as well. But is not the primary reason for the pre-load.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Suspension is a band aid fix if you do not ditch the stiff tires first. My current bike is the only one I've had that had so few miles on it that the tires were original. It was not long before I threw them on the curb. After more suitable tires were put on the ride improved so much that all I have to do is adjust the preload on the factory suspension for the weight of that ride.

Too many people blame the suspension for a tire problem, and still have a suspension problem if they have the wrong tires.

Your suspension will feel much better once you put better tires on. Try that first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.