Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so i was wondering if anyone knows how to convert a electronic ignition back to points? Is it easy? Would you recommend doing it?
**Also the electronic pickup is burnt the hell out [the moron before we had it wired it wrong, actually horribly wrong] anyways it says DynaS on the side.... does it HAVE to be a dynaS or is there a more generic brand for that?
Wed appreciate any questions/answers/comments/advice/input. Ok idk if i worded the 2nd (**) paragraph correctly. Ill double check with the old man& fix it if i need too. Thanks

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

·
Retired citizen
22,097 Posts
I would stick with the DynaS. The DynaS is a reliable ignition system when wired correctly and it's less expensive than most other ignitions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would stick with the DynaS. The DynaS is a reliable ignition system when wired correctly and it's less expensive than most other ignitions.
Thank you... the guy we bought it from said he rode it into the trailer&when he got it on it fell over... hes def. Not a mechanic (or a smart person)... thanks i wasnt quite sure if it HAD to be a Dyna S- because if somewhere else had another alternative in stock we wanted to at least try it and see how she sounds...all the bike shops where were at would have to order the DynaS- itd only take 5-7days to get in , but thats 5-7 days we want to be out riding, since its FINALLY warm enough.
Thanks again

·
Retired citizen
22,097 Posts
Crane Hi-4 and Daytona Twin Tech ignitions but they're more bucks !
You need to figure out if the bike has the advance weight plate removed or not too. Some electronic ignitions require them and others not.
Also if it's setup as single or dual fire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crane Hi-4 and Daytona Twin Tech ignitions but they're more bucks !
You need to figure out if the bike has the advance weight plate removed or not too. Some electronic ignitions require them and others not.
Thanks I'll make sure he checks that out

·
Employed
4,095 Posts
Well Beckyraye, not only do you not have pics, there is zero info about you on your profile. Are you in a government witness protection program? Got something to hide? Embarrassed to show and tell? Hey we like pics and info for clarity. Don't be shy, open up and tell us a little about yourself. And most important pics of said Shovelhead. I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ok so according to the VIN #S: The Frame is a '76 Shovel and The Motor is a '74 Shovel.. so according to myself i dont really have a clue what im dealing with because this is my 1st bike that I get to fix,customize, and is mine. So any help, tips ,and tricks would be awesome and amazing! Also thanks for your patience and bearing with me!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What does the title say?
How many CC's?

does the serial # start with 1HD1CA ?
Title says 76 shovel head ... ok number on frame pulled up for a 76. The motor however, showed up at 74? Wierd... um not sure on CCS i can check over paper work and stuff when i get home... i actually just now looked hard at the frame and the ☆HD37CA
And in between the 7 &CA looks like there is another star or a triangle?
This is my 1st bike I actually am mostly attempting myself (my mans supervising &letting me attempt to figure out as much as i can, and only help on heavy lifting...) so bear with me please, and thanks for help! Jeeze
How bad did i screw EVERYTHING up? Cuz ive def been googling a 76 shovel just cuz thats on the title.

·
Registered
20,542 Posts
1000cc

this may help you.....

Harley-Davidson VIN Number Explained

Harley Davidson VIN Information

1,000 cc is a Sportster, earlier sporty's were 900cc's.
back then a Shovelhead would be 1,200cc 74" or 1340cc 80"
the heads on Shovelheads are made of aluminum, the cylinders are iron, the drive chain is on the left.
Your bike has Iron Heads and cylinders , and the drive chain is on the right

My first Harley was a 1974 Sporty
got it when I was in the service....I miss that bike, regret selling it. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
The frame may be a 76 but your rear wheel setup is a 77 xlch (only year and model with that type brake setup). Most likely previous owner pieced together a few basket cases to build a complete bike. Nothing wrong with that. My sporty has 77 lower end, 80 top end, front end came of a panhead and also has a shovelhead part or two. Only problem is the more you customize, the harder it is to get parts when you break down. Also old sportys tend to be a bit temperamental. Get to know your bike inside and out. You will probably have to do your own work on it. Not a lot of mechanics will work on these old classics.

·
Wayward Son
23,049 Posts
:think After 3 years you return to post to a year old thread?

·
Outlaw
549 Posts
Not a lot of mechanics will work on these old classics.
:think After 3 years you return to post to a year old thread?
I'd say he doesn't know many old Harley mechanics either, those old classics are what keep my bills paid, and I ain't the only Indy around this forum my any means. LoL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts