Harley Davidson Forums banner

61 - 80 of 131 Posts

·
Wayward Son
23,049 Posts
:D Really would not surprise me.

Several years ago saw a prediction that Internet over power lines will be the future.

All we would need, have in our homes was a small box several inches square plugged into a wall outlet. Then just a monitor, mouse and keyboard.
With touchscreen coming on. May not need the mouse or keyboard.

·
Retired citizen
22,124 Posts
Wi-Fi hot spots on every light pole, telephone pole, street sign etc.. They can do it, they just need to figure out how they can make money off it. That's why Tesla failed, he wanted to give every household FREE AC ! No profit off of FREE so no investors !

·
Southern Redneck
1,094 Posts

·
Road Junkie
1,848 Posts
:D Really would not surprise me.

Several years ago saw a prediction that Internet over power lines will be the future.

All we would need, have in our homes was a small box several inches square plugged into a wall outlet. Then just a monitor, mouse and keyboard.
With touchscreen coming on. May not need the mouse or keyboard.
My main cable line comes into my detached garage/office, where it is split for cable and modem. Since both the garage and the home have metal roofs, the most affordable option for getting the Internet into the house was to run it over the power line, then connect to a wireless router in the house. It works pretty well, but I still lose Internet intermittently in the house on a daily basis. So it can be done, just needs further refinement and a very strong, steady signal.

·
Registered
37,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Finally got a M.2 NVMe drive. The Samsung 970 series were released just a few days ago. :nod

Crazy how tiny they are. Barely bigger than a stick of gum.

After I install this, I will have no more internal traditional spinning hard drives, just external USB drives for backups.

Just need to work some more over time now to pay for it. :eek

IMG_20180511_130936.jpg

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Finally got a M.2 NVMe drive. The Samsung 970 series were released just a few days ago. :nod

After I install this, I will have no more internal traditional spinning hard drives, just external USB drives for backups.

View attachment 725201
That is pretty cool. It has been several years since I built any computers. Gone are the days of DIP switches and 486 CPUs.

My first computer was an IBM PC with a monochrome monitor and dual 5 1/4" floppy drives. I upgraded one of the floppies to 3.5" and added a 20MB hardcard. I can't remember if I upgraded the graphics card and added color, it was over 20 years ago.

·
old scoot coot
2,777 Posts
Parts for a sub $1k PC:

$60 Antec 300 case
$140 ASUS Z87-A motherboard
$70 Corsair CX600M 600W Modular Power supply
$240 Intel i5 4670K CPU
$87 Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Memory
$105 Western Digital Black 1TB Hard Drive
$20 ASUS 24X SATA DVD Burner
$100 MS Win7 Home Premium
-------------------------------
$822 Total
wow! way above my pay grade but cool, very cool! :nod

·
Retired citizen
22,124 Posts

View attachment 725201
Does this replace SSD or the same or do the same thing, solid state storage ?

·
Registered
37,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
It is the same thing as a SSD, just a different interface/format - M.2 NVMe.

Newer motherboards than mine have the connectors built on the motherboard itself.

Mine I had to buy a PCI adaptor.

Way faster than my 2 SATA SSD's I have RAIDed together:

New 970 EVO M.2 NVMe:
970_EVO.png

Compared to 2 SATA SSD in RAID 0:
SATA_SSD_RAID0.jpg

And a traditional spinning hard drive that this new drive replaced:
SATA_HD.jpg

·
Registered
37,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
wow! way above my pay grade but cool, very cool! :nod
Its been awhile since I priced out a new system from scratch....

I've just been upgrading the same system that I built at the beginning of this thread.

They are planning on releasing PCIe 5.0 next year, so I figure in a couple years I'll build a new system with all the latest tech.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,807 Posts
I'm too lazy mentally, or lacking in initiative or motivation to figure it all out, but I'd bet with the right inspiration and seed of an idea, I wouldn't be the only person here to have a task or project that would be perfectly handled by an inexpensive Raspberry Pi controller, or similar. It actually might be a more handy topic and resource than building a PC.

I have in mind the simple but critically important task of monitoring ground/foundation moisture around my house.

·
Registered
37,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I'm too lazy mentally, or lacking in initiative or motivation to figure it all out, but I'd bet with the right inspiration and seed of an idea, I wouldn't be the only person here to have a task or project that would be perfectly handled by an inexpensive Raspberry Pi controller, or similar. It actually might be a more handy topic and resource than building a PC.

I have in mind the simple but critically important task of monitoring ground/foundation moisture around my house.

I have a Raspberry Pi hooked up to my TV for when I want to surf and not be at my desk.

Use it with a Bluetooth tiny keyboard with touchpad.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I gave my son $1000 for his 16th Birthday last August and he built a gaming computer with it. He went online and ordered all the parts himself. Most everything was plug and play. He had it up a running in a couple of hours.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I used to build a lot of computers. I started in the mid to late 90s making weekend treks to computer shows. It certainly has gotten easier and less expensive. I'm thinking of assembling a new one in the near future.

·
Ambassador
3,748 Posts
I used to build a lot of computers. I started in the mid to late 90s making weekend treks to computer shows. It certainly has gotten easier and less expensive. I'm thinking of assembling a new one in the near future.
I started back then too. I remember standing in line for a 486 processor. I think that's what it was. Filled all the ram slots etc and later found out the software would only recognize about 1/4 of it.
tried to fill the other slots with video card, high speed dial up odem and there wasn't enough software "slots" for it to work. Can't remember what they were called, not drivers something else. Anyway it was a pain.

·
Wayward Son
23,049 Posts
Can anyone recommend software that will "safely" download youtube videos?
What browser do you use?
I use Firefox with Easy Youtube Downloader Express add-on.

I do not download many. But has worked on all I have tried so far.

61 - 80 of 131 Posts