Harley Davidson Forums banner

81 - 100 of 144 Posts

·
Wayward Son
23,286 Posts
Hate Chrome.

But a google search turns up what appear to be a couple "safe" options. :dunno
There are other offerings from other sources. Not sure of their "safeness".
A lot of videos are now protected from download without a channel subscription.
No idea how well they do or do not work in those cases.

One-Click Video Downloader
or
Video Downloader professional

YMMV

·
Registered
38,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I started back then too. I remember standing in line for a 486 processor. I think that's what it was. Filled all the ram slots etc and later found out the software would only recognize about 1/4 of it.
tried to fill the other slots with video card, high speed dial up odem and there wasn't enough software "slots" for it to work. Can't remember what they were called, not drivers something else. Anyway it was a pain.
IRQ I remember having to set up config.sys and autoexec.bat files whenever you installed a new game. :laugh

·
Methhead
2,574 Posts
I built a new one over the weekend. Old one is still running strong after 6 years too.

Reactions: ematicic and Kainam

·
Registered
38,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Im about ready to build another one, but I want to hold off until PCIe 5.0 is available. :nod

Next PC item I want to get is a ultra wide HDR monitor. Probably get that before a PC build.

What I really want is the ASUS PG35VQ if they ever release it.... :(

Reactions: AndyG

·
Registered
38,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #89

·
Registered
38,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #90

·
Super Moderator
4,282 Posts
Question. I have Windows 7 on my computer at home. I really only use it for moderate gaming. I keep getting pop ups saying Windows 7 is close to be unsupported but I do not want to upgrade. I can see Microsoft pushing something that renders 7 and earlier to not work at all. Am I just being paranoid, and are there any free OS candidates?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Question. I have Windows 7 on my computer at home. I really only use it for moderate gaming. I keep getting pop ups saying Windows 7 is close to be unsupported but I do not want to upgrade. I can see Microsoft pushing something that renders 7 and earlier to not work at all. Am I just being paranoid, and are there any free OS candidates?
Other than a Linux distro (read: gaming is iffy), not really. Check Newegg and Ebay, you should be able to find a Windows 10 DVD or product key for a decent price.

That said, just cuz MS says they won't support it anymore, doesn't mean it'll be obsolete. You just won't get updates on it anymore. I'd only be concerned about security updates, and that's only if you're strictly using Windows Defender and nothing else.

My daily PC is a Mac Mini. I have a purpose built gaming desktop and it only runs Windows Defender, but I don't do anything with it except for game. No web surfing, no email, nothing. Only programs installed on it are Steam, Uplay, and Origin - plus the games purchased through any of them.

·
Wayward Son
23,286 Posts
Windows 7 will continue to work.
That annoying pop-up gets pushed out with the updates.
KB4493132

How to Avoid Windows 7’s End-of-Support Nags

More importantly, there’s a “Do Not Remind Me Again” checkbox at the bottom left corner of the window. Enable this checkbox and Microsoft will hopefully stop bugging you. However, if you don’t enable this checkbox and just close the window, you will see the end of life notification repeatedly.
If you’ve already installed this update, you can uninstall it. Head to Control Panel > Programs > View Installed Updates, locate KB4493132 in the list (you can search for it using the search box), and uninstall it.
There is another fairly simple way to stop it.
Information is in the link.

I am running Win7.
Plan to continue with it for the foreseeable future.

Then maybe go to Kali Linux on this laptop once I put my tower back together or pick up another low $ one.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Windows 7 will continue to work.
That annoying pop-up gets pushed out with the updates.
KB4493132

How to Avoid Windows 7’s End-of-Support Nags

There is another fairly simple way to stop it.
Information is in the link.

I am running Win7.
Plan to continue with it for the foreseeable future.

Then maybe go to Kali Linux on this laptop once I put my tower back together or pick up another low $ one.

I've got Win 10, but installed Classic Shell so that it still acts like it's Win 7. :grin

Reactions: ematicic

·
Retired citizen
23,190 Posts
I've got Win XP on my shop laptop that's still functioning, even on the internet. Gets those update pop-ups yet too. Not very fast on the net tho !

Reactions: Reformed Cager

·
Wayward Son
23,286 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've got Win XP on my shop laptop that's still functioning, even on the internet. Gets those update pop-ups yet too. Not very fast on the net tho !
TBH, XP was my favorite Windows OS ever released. I was one of the fools that was in line at the store when they released Windows ME. Worst OS ever.... :grin

Reactions: Kainam

·
Registered
38,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #100 (Edited)
To this day I say Win 2k was.
No eye candy.
But rock solid.
Id say Win 10 is pretty stable. Ive been running it for about 3 years now (since I built current PC), no issues at all. My PC stays on 24x7 and only time its been rebooted is when it needs to for applying updates.

81 - 100 of 144 Posts