Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last fall I rented a RK and had problems with my hands going numb. It started after 45 minutes and after two hours it was happening every 10 minutes to the throttle hand. I have investigated several potential factors in this matter. Gripping too tight, handlebar position and vibration are thought to be the most likely culprits.

Today, I noticed that when sitting on the RK the base of my palms was the point of pressure on the grips, since they sit lower and the tendency is for the arms to transfer their weight down onto the palms. Then I sat on a Heritage and noticed the arms had more bend at the elbow and the weight of the arms caused the hands to "hang on" to the grips in such a way that the point of main pressure from the hands to the grips was just below the fingers.

My research into hand numbness revealed that the two main nerves run into the palm through the center region, and that if you keep minimal pressure on that palm region there would be less numbness. The main pressure point on the RK grips/handlebars is exactly where these nerves run.

I decided that I'd try renting a Fatboy because it has less vibration from a counterbalanced engine but the handlebars are so similar that my palm pressure point would be the same. Then I'd know if the numbness was associated with the vibration of the bike and not the hand position. This may rule out getting a RK. However, if I still get numbing I can rent a Heritage and see if the handlebars/palm contact point decreased the numbing. If so then I know that a simple change of the handlebars on the RK is my answer.

Of course, I can also get better grips and gel gloves to help, but if anyone has had a similar experience and/or knows of a better way to determine the source of the numbing I'd welcome the input.

Oh, and I don't have signs of carpel tunnel or other nerve numbing, either from driving or from lawn mowers. This is the only time I have experienced such numbing.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
How tightly are you hanging on? A relaxed grip transmits the least amount of input to the bars, and vice versa.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
It's easy enough to swap out the handle bars to ones that are positioned better for you. I'm not sure of your height but if you have to lean forward then you are putting more pressure on your palms that way as well. I noticed a big relief when I installed fatter hand grips. They allowed my hand to uncurl enough to allow more bloodflow.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't recall hanging on too tightly. I am 6' with a 32 inseam and a 34'-35" sleeve. I actually don't recall a ton of vibration, making me think this is all due to the angle of the handlebars. Do you think trying the other bikes is the best way to determine for sure the exact cause?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
You're hanging on too tight. I'm the same size as you, and on my own bike, I grip too solidly and loose feeling in my hands quickly. It has everything to do with grip and confidence, and little to do with bars, grips and gloves............

Relax.

Be the ball Danny................ :D

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Tendonitis in the elbows cause a lot of numbness in My hands.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Well nerves or blood circulation getting cut off or restricted. Like Dave I think its mostly gripping to tight which is what you tend to do when fighting off cages and such as would make one tense up. Only you forget to relax your grip when things ease up. Your head can be up your a$$ lookin at the skirts but for some reason you hands stay locked up.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Also dont forget the star adjuster throttle lock.
If your cruising at steady speeds you can lock your throttle and give your arms/hands a rest. The heel rest throttle grip works good too.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
I'll bet most people experiencing your problem are gripping to hard. Give relaxation a try. It can't hurt. Changing bars to allow you to have a more comfortable position is never a bad idea.

·
33 Posts
I had the same thing on my 2000 RKC. How you grip is part of it. I purchased a pair of gel gloves but the throttle rocker really works the best for longer trips.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I had the same problem with every bike I have had. For me it did not matter what handlebars or position. Cruise Control is the only way to go with that problem. This is one of the reasons I went with a Ultra.

·
Registered
333 Posts
my right index finger goes numb and turns yellow...It helps when I try to relax but never seems to go away, and the cold makes it worse. What are the heal rest grips? never heard of 'em.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Carpal Tunnel issues ????

Had this on my chopper and it got that bad my hand would go numb every 10 mins or so......shook it a little and the feeling came back but 10 mins later is was right back. Had surgery done, about 15 minute surgery tops and it has been fine ever since. Might want to look into that also. Just to clarify a little my SG was hardly an issue at all prior to surgery. I think it just depends on your wrist position that causes the numbness.

·
Registered
5 Posts
old neck , numb hands

I suffered from numb hands after a few miles on different styles of bike. I thought it was a carpal tunnel problem, but after visiting the physio found it was down to my neck joints/ muscles. ( when I turn my head from left to right i can feel something " grinding" in my neck) With an exercise programme the numb hands go away . If I stop them it comes back. might be worth checking out....
especially if you did a lot of headshaking at rock concerts ( didn't do my ears much good either)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I'm new here, and I'm sorry for digging this up but I had been googling this topic to see if anyone else had this problem and was excited to see I'm not alone!

I'm really little (under 5 feet tall) and have been having a hard time with my throttle hand going numb after riding 15 to 20 minutes too. Now having tendinitis probably doesn't help the issue any either.

Yesterday we were riding from Qualicum Beach to Courtenay, the highway up and the slower more scenic route back down. On the highway my hand went numb only once but on the way back down where we were going slower & with more curves it was going numb every 15 minutes.

I always pay a lot attention to how hard I'm gripping thinking that this might be the issue and I can honestly say I'm not gripping hard. But I do put a lot of pressure on my palms. So when my hand was going numb yesterday, I started re-adjusting where I put this pressure and found if I put the pressure just below my fingers then it was like a rush of blood flow and my hand stopped going numb!

Anyways... I wanted to thank Sail for his post! We are wanting to take a long trip and this numbness thing has me worried that we'll have to stop every 15 minutes. Knowing that adjusting the point in my hand that the pressure is will help makes me worry a lot less.

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
If you work with your hands any at all you are subject to carpal tunnel syndrome. Mostly my hand numbness is due to hand position on the grips. Some days its worse than others. Try moving the handle bars just a bit forward or back. Try to position so you are "hanging" more from your fingers and not so much resting the heels of your hands on the grips. Another cause is vibration. One thing I swear by are grips. The Kuryakyn ISO grips are great. They are fat and they have soft rubber pads to dampen vibrations.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts