Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did do a search to find if others are having issues finding nutrual while it idles. Lots of info with thinner oil in primary and thicker oil in secondary. And I understand the reasons. But I never had an issue with my 05 flhtci but am having those issues with my 14 flhtk. Thought they would have it figured out by now. Also there is a lot of whinning and not from the back seat! Thinking of swapping out the tranny fluid to see if that helps. Anyone else have thoughts? Perhaps a louder amplifier? Lol

·
Methhead
2,574 Posts
Probably help if you spelled neutral correctly....

Edit: I don't know diddly about the new hydraulic clutch. But I would think a fluid swap and maybe a clutch adjustment are your best options currently. You say it's a 2014, I'm guessing you're still breaking it in? They're always hard as hell the first 1k miles to get into neutral.

·
Super Moderator
4,901 Posts
What kind of nuts grow in rural Mn anyhow? Nuts in the primary could cause binding.

Throw in the tranny lube and we just might have another Peavley situation here.

I agree, break it in a bit more before worrying too much.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Still under warranty? Take it back to dealer and let them deal with it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya ok I spelled neutral wrong lol. The bike has a little over 8k on it and yes I have a warranty. But I don't think there is anything wrong with it. The 05 May have Been as noisy but with the pipes and the amplifier and speakers I may not have heard it. I think the clutch is spot on. It's hydraulic and no adjustment? I picked up a service manual for it and I'll look that over to be sure it's all in spec. But if this is the most I can complain about on this machine I'll be very happy! It's a great machine!

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
Are you sure it's not spelled neuteral? Lol

·
Registered
12,941 Posts
Check your internal clutch adjustment with cold engine.

·
Methhead
2,574 Posts

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Nutria-L

nutria01.jpg

Yea. Hey. I covered that already. No need to be a dick. That's my job.
They run in packs.

BTW--Wouldn't the clutch plates still have the adjustment behind the derby cover -- even if it is hydraulically activated? (IDK)

--

*Damn - almost forgot! -- :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ya ok I spelled neutral wrong lol. The bike has a little over 8k on it and yes I have a warranty. But I don't think there is anything wrong with it. The 05 May have Been as noisy but with the pipes and the amplifier and speakers I may not have heard it. I think the clutch is spot on. It's hydraulic and no adjustment? I picked up a service manual for it and I'll look that over to be sure it's all in spec. But if this is the most I can complain about on this machine I'll be very happy! It's a great machine!
I'm pretty sure the 14's had a recall on the clutch. Have you had that taken care of?

·
old scoot coot
4,864 Posts
So I did do a search to find if others are having issues finding nutrual while it idles. Lots of info with thinner oil in primary and thicker oil in secondary. And I understand the reasons. But I never had an issue with my 05 flhtci but am having those issues with my 14 flhtk. Thought they would have it figured out by now. Also there is a lot of whinning and not from the back seat! Thinking of swapping out the tranny fluid to see if that helps. Anyone else have thoughts? Perhaps a louder amplifier? Lol
listen to softtailbilly.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep asked if all the recalls had been done especially the clutch. So I'm thinking that's not it. Today when I rode it it was a bit easier to find. So maybe give it some time. I'll look up the adjustment for hydraulic clutch tomorrow. Just bought the service manual and it wouldn't hurt to check it. Just thinking if I went with thicker oil in the transmission it would help with gear whine and finding neutral. Or if someone has a better idea such as checking adjustment and letting it wear in as was suggested earlier.

·
Aussie John
12 Posts
nutrual - isn't it usually found between "frist" and "sceond"?

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
I saw a thing once about spelling. Seems that as long as you have the first letter and the last letter right, it doesn't matter how you mix up the inside letters, the correct word is still visually apparent in the majority of instances. And it actually seems to work! I imagine that has a lot to do with how predictive text works.

After all, we all knew immediately what gear the OP was talking about.

--

1 - 20 of 24 Posts