Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Office Linebacker
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on the advice of the nobility here, I decided to give this stuff a try (Seafoam).

(Background)
I have a scoot that, for whatever reason, does not get as much attention (Riding, etc. as I wish I could give, as I generally just ride the others.

(Full disclosure - I am talking about the Gilroy Chief (S&S EVO)... Yea, Yea, this is a Harley board, I know... But let's face it, the early Gilroy Indian is just a FLSTC on steroids anyway - NOT A POLARIS!.)

So it has ~30K-ish on the clock and has a pretty good tick/chatter to it... No biggie... Figured I am due for a top-end soon.

Since it is time for an oil change anyway, I figured it could not hurt to see what this Seafoam stuff is about.

So's I put ~3ish oz. in the oil bag, and add about the same to the fuel, and took 'er on an 80 mile ride. - Then changed the oil and filter.

Well - it is not my imagination...
The noise is reduced by about 3/4th!!!

It's Crazy!
(On the ride, I was almost embarrassed, because the clatter seemed to be louder than the Longshots.

Now?
Sounds like a baby kitten!

I'm telling ya'...
Dave and many of the other Yoda's here have used it and said it is pretty amazing...

I am now a believer.

Ride safe, All.
DeeDay

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Stuff tastes insane too! Good to hear it worked for ya!!

·
luv the low country
19,254 Posts
I use Seafoam in the scoot all the time. Always keep 3-4 bottles on the shelf. My '03 Honda Accord V6 started to have on little top end tick, put 4 oz in the oil filler, tappet noise gone.

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
So I should use this in my dryer right? To keep condensation out of my garage? :D

Yep, I just went there haha

-Rohan

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
In all honesty, I need to try this in my Evo. Maybe it will take some of the clack out of it at idle.

-Rohan

·
Office Linebacker
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stuff tastes insane too! Good to hear it worked for ya!!
In Dave we Trust!
Dood - You need to charge us more for your advice.
(I's serious, Man... The stuff is pretty amazing.)

·
Office Linebacker
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use Seafoam in the scoot all the time. Always keep 3-4 bottles on the shelf. My '03 Honda Accord V6 started to have on little top end tick, put 4 oz in the oil filler, tappet noise gone.
Yup... Yup...
Exactly what I experienced.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
How/Why does it work?

--

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
How/Why does it work?

--
Its basically all naphtha. White gas. So its a petroleum distillate solvent that cleans oil related parts by cleaning small passages. It mixes with the oil and dissipates to some degree And the remaining comes out with the oil change.

In fuel, it cleans the injectors but with a few additives, it keeps fuel from breaking down as well.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My 103 just runs smoother with a couple of oz of Seafoam in the tank. For this reason I've become a rather habitual user of the stuff. Maybe I need another tune-up ? I had a stage 1 mod with SE supertuner done when the bike was new. It has about 3000 mi on it now so I'm wondering if a re-tune might prove beneficial.

Anyhow, I'm also wondering if you can overdo it adding Seafoam. From the instructions on the can it seems you can add Seafoam to fuel in a very wide variety of mixing ratios. A couple of oz in 5 gal isn't much but the difference is really noticeable.

·
Registered
102 Posts
So Dave you just add this to your fuel? How are you using the product and how often? Would like to hear your words of wisdom on useage!

thanks
Rick...

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,686 Posts
Guess I'll try it in the bike...used it on a old boat with two cycle 65 h.p evinrude and it ran good but had rough idle, with sea-foam it straighten right up and idled like a champ!!

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
The Atlantic Ocean is only a couple of hours from me. Can I collect my own sea foam or should I stick with the canned sea foam?

·
luv the low country
19,254 Posts
The Atlantic Ocean is only a couple of hours from me. Can I collect my own sea foam or should I stick with the canned sea foam?
Can it, Dave, would ya? :bat

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
a buddy of mine works as a tech at a marine dealer here in town. he tells a story about the Yamaha district tech coming into the shop one day. he was having trouble with a boat than the Yamaha guy was going over it with him. my buddy was going to put some of this stuff in the gas tank and the Yamaha guy walks buy and picks up the quart jar of the stuff and commences to dump the whole thing in the gas tank. my buddy looks at him a little weird and the guy says "You can't put too much in, it wont hurt anything".

now that being said, I don't think I would put that much in my "OIL"...

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts
It's a great marinade for ribs. So tender.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Y'all sure it isn't sawdust? :)

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Years ago I was heavy into Suzuki Samurai's, I've owned 14 so far. The first thing I did to a new Zook was pour in a half bottle of seafoam in the tank and the other half in the oil. Never failed me.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
"I love the smell of naptha in the morning. It smells like -- victory!"

--

1 - 20 of 29 Posts