Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing my trans fluid, what used to be an O-ring on the drain plug according to the manual, is now a sad lookin' flat piece of badly abused rubber. I can go out and get a replacement, but I wish I knew if it was a smallish token of an O-ring, or a big fat cheerio of an O-ring. The seating area on the plug is pretty wide/large, it looks like it is made to hold a pretty good chunky piece of rubber, but the remnant of the old ring I have doesn't look like it was ever chunky.

Besides that, the plug had some greyish pasty looking residue, looked like plumber's putty, on the treads and the remnant of the O-ring. They don't seal that plug with some kind of grey pookie do they?

·
Registered
40,762 Posts
Is this for your Dyna?

The o-ring is pn# 11105, normal size o-ring....

Nothing else is needed on the drain plug, the o-ring does all the sealing.

·
What?
3,256 Posts
I went ahead and put teflon tape on the plug threads. Extra security in case I messed up the o ring on reinstall. Probably overkill, but for what I'm paying for the bike I figured it's worth it.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I went on to town and figured I'd make a guess, but there was only one o-ring that was even close, so there wasn't much selection.

I had previously looked at Lowes, seems like they have a butt-load of different sizes, thick, thin and real thick for each inner diameter, but I was in a hurry since my bike was up on the bike lift w/o any straps, and the ride to town on the V-Rod was a lot more windy than I thought, so I started getting worried.

Those orange frame blocks to make the bottom of the Dyna frame even with that shark-fin protrusion on the right rear are absolutely essential, for anybody who's trying to get by without them..

A very well spent $25

·
What?
3,256 Posts
DO NOT use Teflon tape on your engine drain plug. The Teflon strings off inside the engine and can break free and block oil passages and cause engine damage that won't be covered under your warranty.

No need for it on the trans either. The O-ring is over kill as it is.
:eek: OOOOhhhh, didn't think of that. Looks like I know what I'll be doing this weekend. :banghead

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
:eek: OOOOhhhh, didn't think of that. Looks like I know what I'll be doing this weekend. :banghead

Thanks for the help.
Be sure to clean out the threads on the hole and get all of the teflon removed out of them or else when You screw the plug back in it will carry pieces of the teflon tape into the engine and cause blockage of the ports any way.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whoever put my tranny plug in last, either the factory or a dealership mechanic, they used plumber's putty on the threads and O-ring. I put it back the same way.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I do`nt know about the Harley engines but in a hydraulick system the teflon goop is ok,teflon tape is not as it can string off and plug orfices and cause valves to hang up when it gets stuck in the valves.
Plumbers putty in anything besides a sink drain would be a big NONO in My books.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts