Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to remove the white oxidation on the cooling fins of the cylinders, without hurting the powder coating? thank

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Sometimes I use a Q-Tip with a cleaner sprayed on the oxidation or the tip, and this can work. If the oxidation is severe the edge of a towel wedged into the fin can work. Last, consider S-100's Engine Brightener. It is an amazing product that really works. Turns the engine cases back to the original color. Use it after a good cleaning job and/or the engine is just looking a little faded. Can spray it on the fins as well.

·
Registered
279 Posts
...consider S-100's Engine Brightener. It is an amazing product that really works. Turns the engine cases back to the original color. Use it after a good cleaning job and/or the engine is just looking a little faded. Can spray it on the fins as well.
Yep, that's my solution, too :D

·
COB
1,984 Posts
what about the silver tips of the cooling fins, thats where i'm having the oxidation problems?
If the silver tips are bare aluminum you will have to polish them back with Mothers or Semi-Chrome. You will have to do it very carefully because you do not want to get any more than necessary on the black part. One of the reasons I don't like silver and black engines....I'm lazy. After you are done spray a liberal amount of Pig Spit on it and it should help reduce the natural oxidation that al you mini um is so well known for.

In fact a good technique might be to apply Pig Spit with a q-tip to the immediate area of the fins near where you are going to polish. Then if you get any residue on the black part it will rinse right off. Yeah, I bet that would work.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I realize this thread is almost a year old now but it's a good subject and I love the member name fuel slut. I have noticed that modern chemical compounds help but there is NO substitute for mechanical action. Physical contact with a rubbing motion. That unfortunatly I find to be true with everything that needs cleaning. You may begin listing the ways that it sounded sexual.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts