Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently picked up a set of V&H Short Shot pipes for my 07 Street Bob. The only issue is they are for a 2014, so the O2 sensors are the smaller 12mm. Mine uses the larger 18mm. I want to drill and tap the bung holes for the larger size, but I'm not certain on thread pitch. I took the pipes to the local hardware store and a 12mm x 1.25 thread pitch bolt fits perfectly. Can I just assume the 18mm will be the same thread pitch? More than likely I'll take off my O2 sensor and see what size bolt fits, then order the correct drill and tap to do the job. But if someone knows it would make my job a lot easier.

Oh yeah, I got the pipes for $50, which is why I made the deal. I will also have to paint the heat shields as they are a little banged up, but I couldn't pass up the deal for that price.

Thank you for any help.

Later,
KrustyTC

·
Registered
12,005 Posts
Sounds like you answered your own question.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, a friend of mine brought up a good question, can't I just swap my 18mm O2 sensors for 12mm O2 sensors? Does anyone know the answer to this? HD started using the 12mm sensor in 2012. Is there any major difference between the 18mm and 12mm sensors? Any reason why they wouldn't work with my 07? I know the 2012 bikes had the 103 inch motor and mine has the 96, but aren't the O2 sensors just to monitor the exhaust gases? How much would a set of 12mm sensors cost me? I'd be willing to buy them if the cost isn't too much.

thanks,
KrustyTC

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nevermind, just answered my own questions. Looked online and the 12mm sensors have 4 wires, the 18mm only have 2. I don't know if you need all 4 wires for the sensors to work correctly, but I'm assuming that is the case. On top of that, the connectors are completely different.

later,
KrustyTC

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
The thread pitch for the 18mm sensors is (1) or ( 1.5) Take your sensor to the hardware store and match the tap to the sensor.

·
Retired citizen
23,387 Posts
Nevermind, just answered my own questions. Looked online and the 12mm sensors have 4 wires, the 18mm only have 2. I don't know if you need all 4 wires for the sensors to work correctly, but I'm assuming that is the case. On top of that, the connectors are completely different.

later,
KrustyTC
I just happened upon this thread. The main difference between the 2 wire and 4 wire O2 sensors is that the 4 wire sensors are heated.

Reactions: Kainam

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just found online that the threads are 18mm x 1.5. So I'll get myself a drill and tap set and see what happens.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How did the drill and tap job go bro? I was gonna say it's probably cheaper to do that instead of buying new sensors and rewiring them to work on your 07. I have a 06 Street Bob and i was wondering if I had the wideband sensors until I learned the 18mm sensors were the stock size back then, which makes a lot of sense. Too bad those pipes have the 12mm bungs - Most manufacturers are only drilling the 18mm bungs and including a set of reducers in case you have 12mm sensors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts