Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Flat Land *******
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How old does a HD get before the MoCo calls it obsolete and no longer has available parts?

·
Retired citizen
24,287 Posts
7 years . Same as auto mfgs. Then the parts are are "new old stock" or aftermarket.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
I couldn't get my iron head Sportster worked on ten years at the dealer's shop. Now I understand that they will not work on an Evo at most shops.

It takes an Indie anymore to get anything done that you can't do for yourself.

·
Registered
844 Posts
At a shop here in tucson, they won't work on anything older than 10 yrs. I figured it was because they only had young techs.

·
Registered
42,156 Posts
Well damm. My bike is officially 10 years old now.

Guess I'll have to continue to not use the local dealer for service.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Hell mine is 18 this year and still running strong. I love my evo I told the wife that I won't ever get rid of her. I'll use quality after market parts.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
Haven't had any trouble with my dealer yet, new starter clutch two years ago (bike was 10 years old). But replacing stock chrome items, has to be ordered out. I forgot the term but its a fancy way of saying its too old for the MoCo to stock parts anymore.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Mine is 15 years old, and so far I have still been able to get OEM parts when I need them. How much longer? IDK. But there are PLENTY of quality aftermarket parts out there.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Haven't had any trouble with my dealer yet, new starter clutch two years ago (bike was 10 years old). But replacing stock chrome items, has to be ordered out. I forgot the term but its a fancy way of saying its too old for the MoCo to stock parts anymore.
Just hope your cruise control doesn't go out. MoCo hasn't had them for a couple years now on bikes 2006 and down.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
Just hope your cruise control doesn't go out. MoCo hasn't had them for a couple years now on bikes 2006 and down.
It has and I fixed it. Throttle position sensor, disconnected it, problem solved.

·
Registered
803 Posts
It has and I fixed it. Throttle position sensor, disconnected it, problem solved.
GotGold, don't think bike will run with the throttle position sensor disconnected. Do you mean the switch on the throttle cable that shuts off the cruise when you force the throttle off?

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
GotGold, don't think bike will run with the throttle position sensor disconnected. Do you mean the switch on the throttle cable that shuts off the cruise when you force the throttle off?
Its off one of the cables coming from the throttle, that might be it.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
So, mine is 43yrs old, and still funning on the original bore and pistons! Good thing I am a wrench that was riding back then and can work on them, or I would really be screwed!
Bob

·
Registered
556 Posts
When I worked for a Honda Dealer, we use to turn away bikes that were ten years old or older. The real reason was a guy would bring that bike in for some kind of problem and then it would be other problems and shop would get endless comebacks for other problems not related but being claimed they were related. We could not make any money on those older bikes because the guy(s) ended up getting free labor, etc. It pays to be able to fix your own bike. I have a 42 year old boat motor (Evinrude) that runs like a champ and I can still get parts. But, all it ever needs is points and condenser and plugs.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
So, mine is 43yrs old, and still funning on the original bore and pistons! Good thing I am a wrench that was riding back then and can work on them, or I would really be screwed!
Bob
Working on them is half the fun! I wouldn't trust anyone else near my bikes with a wrench, anyway. My FLH is a '77 and it is NOT obsolete. The dealer is obsolete!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts