Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
taking a trip out west this summer on my 2010 ultra classic,will i need to use octane boost since their octane is lower out in the west and what kind is best to use ?

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
How much lower. If you can still keep it at about 91 you will be fine.
I used to run a lot of octane boost in my snowmobiles. My boost of choice was Klotz. I am sure others would work also but that is my suggestion.

·
Registered
12,006 Posts

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,132 Posts
Depending on where you are going, you'll find premium at 91 or 92 most everywhere. Some stations, especially in Montana, have ethanol-free premium. A little Seafood once in a while is helpful with the ethanol gas.

I loves me some seafood...?

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Elevation will also have to be included in the equation.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,482 Posts
I've made several runs out west on my scoot, and only 1 time did I encounter a problem that might be octane related although it was one of those either fill up here or prepare to walk situations. I'm thinking Seafoam might have been helpful for that one. Had a lot of clattering and pinging until the next tank. Since that was the only occasion, and I found myself on 91 oct. at even higher altitudes and with steeper gradients later, I'm more inclined to think bad gas was my gremlin that time.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would start out without - if your engine starts pinging reguardless of reason (heat, altitude, bad gas) go to any auto parts store and buy a can of OB put in a swig with every tank until you no longer need it. try to buy a can not a plastic bottle - I had one split and never got the smell out of the side bag.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
I routinely use 89 octane in my cammed '07 Electra Glide, and have used 87 with no ill effects.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
I think you'll be fine.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
I think you'll be fine.
+1 I've gotten stuck putting 87 in a pinch, just don't get on it if ya do. My main concern was almost gassing up with 15% ethanol, that was in Iowa.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,760 Posts
taking a trip out west this summer on my 2010 ultra classic,will i need to use octane boost since their octane is lower out in the west and what kind is best to use ?

If west you mean "rocky mtn regions" you won't need anything. You can run 89 out here with no preignition in all the mountain areas.

But southwest you can get down in the 2000 ASL and will want 91.

Elevation is important as it lowers compression as you go up in elevation, that is why you can go lower on Octane.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I carry a bottle of Octane boost when traveling but I only had to use it a couple of times.
Most everywhere you go you can find 91 octane and that will work just fine in your bike. There may be a few places that don't have 91 octane fuel and you are in need of fuel, that is when the octane boost comes in handy.
Elevation doesn't have any affect on the bike anymore the ECM and 02 sensors will make all the AFR adjustments needed no matter what elevation you are at. I went from sea level to 12,100 ft and never had a problem.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The need for a given octane is based on the heat generated by compression. Knock is dieseling of the fuel, the heat on the compression stroke (added to the heat already existing in an engine already at operating temperature) causes the fuel to explode before the spark plug sets it off. If there is less air (throttle closed) there is less heat created by compression and less octane is needed. At 5000 feet, the ambient air is about 16% less dense than at sea level so even at wide open throttle, 16% less air is entering the cylinder. It is the equivalent of being at seal level and having the throttle fail to open completely. Because of less air going in, less heat is created by compression so the need for octane is lower. The guys with the sharp pencils have figured out what lower octane will function in an engine that needs 93 octane at sea level when it is at 5000 feet and that is what you see in those gas stations. If you would carry octane booster or Sea Foam when at home, carry it on your trip, but you shouldn't need it unless there is a load of bad gas or lower octane gas put in the higher octane storage tanks. If you are one to frequently use wide open throttle, you will find that your engine has less power at higher elevation. There is nothing wrong with the engine, it is just atmospheric physics.

·
Registered
147 Posts
purchased a new 2011 screming eagle ultra off showroom floor at a dealer in oregon right away it was pinging bad at any speed on local premium gas - took it back to dealer checked it out told me don't worry keep using premium gas it will probably go away after breakin. after a few months it was driving me crazy found myself slowly getting up to speed and keeping the revs high to minimize the ping - also seemed to overheat/fade and was cooking my leg even on the hwy peg. took it to another dealer they test road it and put it on computer told me everything checks ok -this is a big engine 110 it gets hot. ridding thru texas with cruise on about 75 suddenly the cruise kicked off I could not get it to go over 55mph - I took the next off ramp shut it off - a few minutes later tried to restart but fuel pump would not turn on - it just turned over no start. called harley roadside assist - they told me it probably overheated just wait a few more minutes restart and get to the nearest harley dealership for eval. 30 min later it started no prob I road to harley in the next town. since I was from out of town they got me right in - the mechanic came out told he had to erase a bunch of codes and he notice my exhaust tips were white told it was running extreamly lean what had I done? told him it was a stock bike from oregon he said no wonder they don't believe in emisions in oregon they order their bikes setup too lean from the factory. he recommended a new tuner/rich map and dyno $600 when I declined he told me to carry a bottle of octain boost put in a swig at every tank will control the ping and cool it down. I put 8000 more miles on running premium gas and a swig of OB - everybody thought I had a race bike or blown engine - finally sold the bike cheap on ebay I told the buyer the entire story he said for the price I will take care of it. today my 2014 ultra limited with 7000 miles purchased in wyoming has never pinged or overheated once and has more power. sorry for this long post but there is some good info here might help someone down the road

·
Registered
445 Posts
As said previously in Calif 91 to 92 octane most every where except some small towns but they usually have it also. I don't run into 10% ethanol in the gas at all, maybe more down south?

·
Registered
12,006 Posts
As said previously in Calif 91 to 92 octane most every where except some small towns but they usually have it also. I don't run into 10% ethanol in the gas at all, maybe more down south?
May be I should move further north. Had ethanol for quite awhile here. Careful it may spread.:fitz

1 - 20 of 37 Posts