Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started the bike this morning after sitting for almost a week (which unfortunately happens occasionally). It started with no trouble at all and about 5 seconds after it started I heard a whine sound. It lasted about 2.5 to 3 seconds and sounded like a turbo winding up to speed. It started lower and got higher in sound pitch. This was loud enough for me to clearly hear with my full face helmet on and short shot pipes rumbling. The fluids are good.

When I got to work I started it again and had no issue.

Any thoughts?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Retired citizen
23,198 Posts
Could be an exhaust manifold leak, could go away after the engine gets hot and the metal expands.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
It may very well have been the alternator, after sitting a week the battery could be a little low and the charging at high current can make the stator whine.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It may very well have been the alternator, after sitting a week the battery could be a little low and the charging at high current can make the stator whine.
Interesting. I keep it on a battery maintainer now. This is the longest it has set on the maintainer. Think there could be something to that?

·
Registered
261 Posts
It happened to me a few times last summer when the temp was 95*+. It only happened on start up; It lasted for about 10 minutes, once. Someone else posted about it around the same time. It stopped happening, never happened again, and I never found out what caused it. Hopefully yours will disappear as well. But, I'm definitely subscribed to see if you discover a cause.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was fine at noon and then again when I rode home. It had sat in the 80+ degree weather all day and not in the cool garage though. I plan on firing it up early tomorrow morning just to see if it does it again... Then I guess I will just have to go for a ride... Damn the luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts