Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently tore down the rear section on my 2000 fatboy. All that is there is softail swing arm, belt and the two frame horns that are covered by the chrome fender struts when attached. I had a new tire mounted on the stock wheel and set out to solve a problem. I noticed last year that the rear tire was only about one quarter inch from the fender on the left side and about a good half inch or more on the right side. I thought during this tear down I could shim the struts maybe and fix this problem, WRONG. When I mounted the rear tire in position, it is still to the left of the welded on rear cast heavy frame horns. I guess it came from the factory this way. It appears the only fix is to shift everything to the right about three sixteenths of an inch. But the brake caliper cannot be moved, thus the brake disk cannot be moved. Cure seems to be to machine thee sixteenths off the right side of the factory wheel to keep caliper and disk in alignment, reduce right spacer by three sixteenths, add three sixteenths to the left spacer and space the drive pulley three sixteenths to left to maintain correct alignment with drive pulley. This just seems to be a tremendous amount of work to solve this problem. Has anyone else had or fixed this problem by an easier method? The rear disk and pulley seem to be spaced the same amount ( equal on both sides) on the factory wheel. I thought I would re-assemble the thing as is and not worry about it but I don't like knowing its off and you can't put a bungie cord hook on the left side because it will rub into tire. Can anyone offer any help?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well lets see. If the seat is centered on the fender and the fender is offset to the right of the bike, me at 5'-10 and weighing in at 220 put somewhat of an off center load on the bike. No wonder right turns seem to be "more comfortable" than a turn to the left. I guess for the "city" rider this is OK. I prefer long winding country back roads for my riding. I took a passenger for a ride one time and said I would never do that again...really squirrely feeling. I've been riding for over 40 years and the fatboy is the worst handling bike I have ever owned. It seems Harley built in a design flaw and figured it would not make much difference. My 1977 Super Glide handled better than the fatboy and I rode two up a bunch in those days. Oh well so much for big bucks Harley.....gotta sell this one and get something that handles like a motorcycle.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a 78 1/2 FLH, and its the same way, off centered to the left. pretty sure they are all like that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts