Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering what some dealers were offering to owners of their road king when you traded for a new bike?
How much did you get and then find out what they sold them for?
What did they accept for all of the extra bling the bike had?

Have heard dealers will basically offer you half the value for the extra bling that you put on the bike.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,125 Posts
Why do you ask?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just more or less asking so I know a general area of what a fair price will be.
Been in a situation before where I paid 7500 for a bike and found out the dealer paid 4000.
Dont have a problem with someone making a profit, but dont want to be suckered either.

Spoke with a friend who was dealer offered basically nothing for a 10 year old fatboy. Even though he paid over 25000 brand new.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,125 Posts
Do you ride a Harley?
The add ons are only worth what someone will pay for them... most dealers look at number from a book irregardless of stuff bolted to it, until they want to resell it... lol
Most Harley folks want to do their own thing... my idea of bling may not be the same as your buddys.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
My experience is that they will pay as little as they have to and sell it for as much as they can. I know that sounds obvious and pointless, but what I mean is that everyone has their price and it's different for each seller and buyer.

·
*Senior Member*
138 Posts
If selling used motorcycles is similar to selling used cars, I know that there is a greater margin for profit in used vehicles. My son works for a car dealer and he told me this fact. There can sometimes be profits of over $3000.00 for a used car so why not a motorcycle?

I got $10,200 for my Heritage Softail trade in and I think they sold it for around $12,500 from what I remember on their website's asking price.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
There is only one reality. If you accept their offer, then you got your acceptable selling price. Then if the next buyer pays what they are asking for your bike, that buyer got a deal that was acceptable to him. No one is forced to take a deal.

It's just a matter of the seller being patient enough to wait for the right buyer. Book value is just a statistic. of the average recorded sales transactions of a given model. To some buyers, buying a used vehicle from a dealer may feel safer (warranties, service, etc) than buying from an individual, therefore having more perceived value in the deal, whether that is true or not.

Free enterprise at work. Is this a great country or what?

--

·
Just Ride
3,252 Posts
Sold a 2009 FLHX to a local dealer for $12,000. Outright not a trade in. Had 10,974 miles on it.
Their asking $14,500. Said after they run it thru service might make a grand.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thank everyone for their response.
Good advice and insight.
Patience and knowledge will be my strategy.

Happy New Year.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Most dealers, won't give you a dime for anything you added beyond stock. That's why most guy's will try to return their bike back to as stock as possible, and sell the parts seperately.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think you have to decide what you will take for your bike and not what they will give you. Best bet is to try and sell it on your own and not trade it in. You will get more selling on your own and then take cash with you to buy what you want. I agree if you do decide to trade it in you are going to loose on your upgrades and would be farther ahead taking it off and parting that stuff out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts