Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I go out for a ride today and all is good for about 5 miles. Bike died on me right out of the blue no sputter nothing. Fired up again right away then died about 5 minutes later and won't re start now. Now I have nothing at the button and the oil light comes on I can also hear a circuit breaker under the dash clicking in and out. Is it just the circuit breaker or do I have a short somewhere in the wiring. Wiring is my evil nemesis so I'm not all that handy, but can fake it pretty good. It's a 78 1/2 FLH that had some work done by the previous owner that I'm quickly learning may have cut a few corners during the engine rebuild.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Poser Member # 99
17,151 Posts
Sounds like Starter relay clicking under the seat

Check your battery connections at the battery first and the your ground at the frame. Then the power lead at the solenoid that they are clean and tight . If that don't work take your battery to the local auto parts and have them load test to see if it's any good

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's definitely not the starter relay under the seat, as their isn't one under the seat. It's definitely a circuit breaker under the dash. Battery is brand new and I had it load tested when I bought it, I've bought a few crap batteries in the past. All connections at the battery are good and the ground cable is brand new.

·
Retired citizen
22,068 Posts
If the breaker is tripping there's a hot wire shorted to ground someplace. Which breaker is it ? Lights, accy, main ??? I'm guessing it's the main if you've got nothing at the start button.
The starter relay is under the battery box (stock location) and that could be causing the breaker to trip.

·
Retired citizen
22,068 Posts
Also pop the rubber boot off the starter solenoid and check the wires, one may have come loose and grounding out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point schmidtys. We're goin drag racing today so I'll probably get to it tomorrow, but I will keep you posted. Thanks for chiming in on all my questions, you've been a good resource for me. I see your from packerville, and for that sir I tip my hat to you. GO PACK.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts