Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and please help if you can. Yes there should be a stupid charge on this one. i need to know what is the pipe plug for that is right beside the oil drain plug. This would be on an Ultra Classic 2009.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pipe plug and oil drain plug????

I have a 2009 ultra classic and was doing an oil change on it and another bike. So my attention was split. And I took out the wrong plug. I took out the pipe plug right next to the oil drain plug. After about one once of fluid came out I screwed it back in and consulted my manual. How ever it does not tell me what it is for only not to take it out.

Unknown plug and fluid ?????????

·
Retired citizen
22,047 Posts
That is a machining procedure used in the oil pan production and the plug is used to seal the hole.

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
Hello and please help if you can. Yes there should be a stupid charge on this one. i need to know what is the pipe plug for that is right beside the oil drain plug. This would be on an Ultra Classic 2009.
I think that the plugs are not pipe threads but straight threads as HD uses o rings to seal them. I going by memory when I change oils on my 2010 FLHTCU and that's not too reliable these days.

Did you loose one? Why the question?

·
Retired citizen
22,047 Posts
The OP started another thread on the same subject. He mistakenly removed the pipe plug instead of the drain plug and wanted to know what the pipe plug was for.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
That is where you plumb in the oil temp sensor.

·
Rider
1,541 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fantastic news for me. Oil Temperature sensor, That sounds logical. I am great full for all the posts it has saved me a lot of grief and now I can finnish the longest oil change of my life. Looks wet and raining out here but I still might be able to find time to get out for a short ride.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Da_Mack no I did not louse the plug. Because I could not tell what kind of oil came out I was worried that it might be connected to the Primary Chain case. If it was then I would need to go get the proper oil and gasket etc. You know just like you drain the transmission from the same pan except the plug on the bottom. But it sound like that plug was just oil and no need to worry.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
36,929 Posts
Don't forget to use Teflon thread sealant on that plug as there is not an o-ring to prevent leaks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts